Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cider House Select yeast from Brewer's Best

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
secondbase
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Cider House Select yeast from Brewer's Best

Anyone use this yeast? Couldn't find any info on it, but I picked up a pack from my LHBS. Picked a ton of apples and plan on making cider with it.

Primary: 3724 Saison, Cider #2, hoppy amber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just pitched a pack of this into a perry yesterday. Seems to be fermenting, but like you, I couldn't find any info on it, so I decided to give it a go. Last year I did a cider with Mangrove Jack's cider strain, which turned out great. If this one works out we'll have two dry cider strains to work with!

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 09-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #3
bu_gee
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I just bottled a batch of pear cider brewed with this on 9/7. I pitched it dry and I got about 75% apparent attenuation (1.046 to 1.011) from it.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu_gee View Post
I just bottled a batch of pear cider brewed with this on 9/7. I pitched it dry and I got about 75% apparent attenuation (1.046 to 1.011) from it.
Wow! Bottled after only 6 days? Did you half fermentation and stabilize to make sure the yeast doesn't go to town on the remaining .011 gravity points?

On-Deck:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 09-14-2014, 03:51 AM   #5
bu_gee
Recipes 

No. I didn't mean I pitched on 9/7. I bottled on 9/7. I let it ferment for 3 weeks leading up to it.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ah, makes more sense. That's what happens when I post after a long day of judging -- my reading comprehension goes straight out the window!

On-Deck:

Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
bu_gee
Recipes 

No worries.

I tasted some at bottling-time and it was pretty dry; drier than I'd like, but not excessively so. I'll try to give a follow-up when I pop a bottle open.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu_gee View Post
No worries.

I tasted some at bottling-time and it was pretty dry; drier than I'd like, but not excessively so. I'll try to give a follow-up when I pop a bottle open.
I put 5 gallons in the fermenter and one in the freezer. Should be more than enough to back-sweeten to an appropriate level.

On-Deck:

Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
bu_gee
Recipes 

I popped open a bottle last night after about 10 days in the bottle. It was definitely very dry but had a relatively clean flavor. I sweetened a bit in the glass with about 1/2 tsp of honey and that was a great improvement.

Also, I didn't get the carbonation levels I was looking for. I did the LHBS-recommended 1oz corn sugar per gallon but I think a little more might have helped. Do any of you think the 1oz/gallon was too conservative an estimate either for cider or in general? I guess there is always the chance that it needs more time in the bottle.

I think next batch I make I will over-sweeten prior to bottling and try a pasteurization technique.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
phug
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If it's only been ten days your bottles may not have fully carbed. Maybe, but maybe not. Check back again in two weeks and chill one for a few days after, but before opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Fermenting - 033 Edwort's Apfelwein

Quick Reply