Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Chest freezer for fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
mattldm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
Exactly... That's what I did.

I have an upright refrigerator-only unit (Kenmore 16.7 cu ft) that I picked up new for about $600 including tax (free delivery). Added a Love controller, and now I have a four-carboy fermentation chamber maintaining 63 degrees (I still have to install the Love into the door so I can read it from the outside, and mount the probe properly).

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the inside:

Cool! Thanks for the pic! I was just looking at that exact fridge at sears yesterday!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post
Cool! Thanks for the pic! I was just looking at that exact fridge at sears yesterday!
It was also quite easy to replace the existing thermostat with the Love controller; John Beere has a write-up on how to do it, but to make a long story short, all I had to do was tap into a neutral with a vampire tap, unplug the wires going into the existing temperature control, and crimp a couple lugs onto my wiring to plug into the wires I unplugged. Took all of about 30 minutes to rewire and test.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
mattldm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
It was also quite easy to replace the existing thermostat with the Love controller; John Beere has a write-up on how to do it, but to make a long story short, all I had to do was tap into a neutral with a vampire tap, unplug the wires going into the existing temperature control, and crimp a couple lugs onto my wiring to plug into the wires I unplugged. Took all of about 30 minutes to rewire and test.
Which temp controller did u use?
I purchased the Ranco digital controller from Morebeer.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidkid267 View Post
@Bach...I've heard , and I could have heard wrong, that a freezer cools so efficently that if you set your controller at a certain point that it will kick off at that point but the ambient cooled air will cool the brew a few degrees below the desired temp. The heat is set to kick on while the temp is falling and provides a "bottom" for the temps.

@JSomps...that is freaking awesome, just what I was looking for, thanks.
I have never heard that, could be true, however, I got thinking a blanket oughta be enough to stabilize the fermenter, that was my plan, however with my kegs in place, I had no room for a blanket.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
skidkid267
Recipes 

So I pulled the trigger and bought the chest freezer and hooked it up on Saturday with the dual stage ranco and a heating pad for the "hot side". At the same time I made the usual starter for an nice IPA recipe I have. I used the starter as a test for the actual carboy full of brew. So I brewed yesterday, Sunday, and this morning the fermentation seemed to be holding steady @69-70 F. This is with the temp probe attached to the side of the carboy with some insulation on the outside and the probe sitting right against the the outside of the bottle and the heating pad taped loose to the opposite side. Plenty of good fermentation going on after about 8-9 hours after pitching yeast. To say the least I am happy with what I have put together, thanks for all the help.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a great way to do it, I want to brew 3 or 4 brews at a time... what might be the best way to do this? I am thinking an up right freezer and keep the ambient temp a bit higher than the fridge temp.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
skidkid267
Recipes 

Mine is a 7.0 cubic foot chest freezer and will just fit two 6gal carboys. The chest freezer will become a Keezer in the future and then an upright will take over the fermenting duties.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is your 7 cubic foot this one from Home depot? http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=203547578

I wanted to know if that'll hold 2 carboys with the airlocks on them.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
OatStraw
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcampbell View Post
Is your 7 cubic foot this one from Home depot? http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=203547578

I wanted to know if that'll hold 2 carboys with the airlocks on them.
This is the one I'm thinking about getting too. How would I do a Lager and an Ale at the same time?

Thinking about putting a 1" Piece of installation foam between the fermenters with a heating pad on the Ale side and setting the Johnson Controller to ~55*. Would this work?

Kegged:
OatStraw Dog Tooth Stout; OatStraw Belgian Snow; OatStraw Kitchen Sink; OatStraw Spice Noel; OatStraw Ye Olde Cider

Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #20
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a 7 cube chest freezer that I ferment in. Will fit two 6.5 boys no problem. I use the fermwrap as well and have no problems holding 1 degree.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Quick Reply