*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Chest freezer fermenation chamber and fresh air flow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
worldzfree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chest freezer fermenation chamber and fresh air flow

I have a small chest freezer that I am setting up as a fermentation chamber with dual temperature control. This may sound like an odd question considering once a fermentation is going the head space will fill with carbon dioxide but I am curious if there is any possible issue if I have the lid completely closed and it's a sealed freezer. Do I need to worry about providing any type of air flow?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Nope. Once the wort is oxygenated the yeast have all they need. The sealed freezer won't hurt anything.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
0110x011
Recipes 

Not unless it builds up excess pressure, but the seal around the lid of your freezer is more than permeable enough to let gas escape. If I were you, I'd be more worried about condensation than co2.

Check out my blog: Small Batch Brewing, and/or follow me on twitter @SmallBatchBrew

And watch my show! www.NewBrewThursday.com

Primary:
Secondary: Sour Red, Saison Tarté Noire, Flemish Red A/B, Flemish Oud Pale, Sour Experiment A/B/C/D
Kegged: Summer Spiced Saison, Rakau Pale Ale, Saison d' Tablé, International IPA, Belgian Witbier
Bottled: OaksterDAMN Barleywine, Saison Noire, Royale with Cheese, Awkward Encounter Wild Ale

Quick Reply