Cherry Wheat Blowout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmm20010

Reaction score
So I started a cherry wheat beer with wyeast 1010 and some brewing sugars it started out fine and I went out of town on day 2 and I was gone for about 24 hours when I came back the next morning my airlock had been blown off completely (rubber stopper and all). I quickly put a clean stopper and airlock on. Now on day 7 there is a thick milky/gummy krausen on top. This krausen has not changed for 3 days. Is my beer ok?

If you search the forum you'll see a million posts like this. During vigorous fermentation CO2 is pushing things out, so it's unlikely anything got in. Most likely you are fine! :ban:

However, in the future you should post a pic so we can all see the devastation. ;)

i knew the fact that it blewout would be ok but I wasn't sure about the way the krausen is after 7 days...1 inch thick/gummy

i knew the fact that it blewout would be ok but I wasn't sure about the way the krausen is after 7 days...1 inch thick/gummy

Sometimes they hang around quite a bit. Once active fermentation is done, sometimes it's helpful to give them a gentle swirl and break the krausen up a little to help it crash out.

Back