Check the gravity. FV with no tap.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what most people do... i personally just let it sit 3-4 weeks and then take a reading . Its never not been done at that point for me... With that being said, i haven't brewed any big beers yet.

The only time I generally take gravity readings is just before pitching and when I'm ready to bottle or keg. For anything but a really big beer, or a new yeast, I rely on my tried and true methods and get the results I expect (better than expected attenuation excepted). I have always, however, ferment in better bottles or glass and can see what's going on from start to finish.

Once you get your equipment and process dialed in results become very predictable. Once you monitor a few batches you'll learn to spot most all oddities pretty quickly.

Bob

WTF is an FV????????

If you want to know how to take a gravity reading. This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys. And probably FV's whatever the heck those are....

I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

turkeybastera.jpg

And

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

Back