champagne yeast to bottle 10% beer with small infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnidelyWhiplash

Reaction score
opened the secondary and 1 of the 3 fermenters had a bit of white silky coating on top. Looks like the pics of lactobactillus on a google search, but not nearly as bad as most. scooped off what I could and sampled under it. tastes great, no sourness

breakfast stout - so lot of roasted and caramel malt
152 mash temp
1.098 OG
1.028 at 4 weeks
9.2% abv + bourbon I will add will bring to 10%
US05 1 dry packet per 4 gal fermentor
1st time not making starters, never had an infection in probably 50 batches so far.

I plan to add bourbon soaked oak chips tI expected this would kill off the little US05 left, so what I plan to do:

make a starter of champagne yeast and pitch krausen,
let it ferment any residual sugar a few days (saw it doesn't ferment maltriose and maybe others?
add bourbon and oak chips for a week
add sugar and bottle.

any thoughts? how much more should the yeast ferment the beer itself

I added champagne yeast to a beer that I could not get past the "1.020 curse." It did dry out the beer, as people said it would. It's resulted in a beer I enjoy, but it's definitely dry. It was an Oberon clone. Some have said it's excellent, while others called it "fair at best." The beer has champagne tendencies for sure. I used Lalvin EC-1118 I believe. Good luck!

Is this just to carb? If so, just use a pack of S05, it will carb it no problem. Just did so with a batch of 12.5% barleywine that had been sitting for 6 months and it carbed no problem at all

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back