New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Champagne Yeast for Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozt
+1, see thread

Think it's time to make some cider!
I do use champagne yeast for cider. It's great for that. If you haven't given that a try, do. Delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
BillBeer247
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

anyone try it yet? I was thinking of a 7g batch instead of a 6g for my next batch and putting the extra gallon in a seperate container to ferment with a champagne pack

Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #13
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This can get pretty involved but I plan on trying it sometime. http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/methode-champenoise-beer

It is a method of making beer a lot like champagne is made. Pretty interesting read.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
KOELSCHKING
Recipes 

First, I do not recommend champagne yeast in primary. It will produce a 'cidery' flavor profile. At small brew pub that I go to, they (improperly) use champagne yeast to make a Saison. I love a good Saison- theirs not so much. I never send craft brew back. That is I never have before that beer.

I use CY to make cider and skeeter pee. I also use it in secondary as it will dry out a beer and doesn't contribute off flavors to any beer when used in later anaerobic metabolism of yeast. I have used this to secondary to dry out my Sorachi Ace Saison and my Köelsch. These are both very delicate beers and there was no prominent 'cidery' flavors.

Suggestions for using CY in secondary: properly rehydrate your yeast- puring dry yeast in will likely kill most of your champagne yeast. Be careful to not mix in oxygen. When pitching yeast - this will help avoid aerobic metabolism and off-flavors. Flush the air space at top of fermenter with co2 to get out oxygen. And laatly, Do not use yeast from fermenter to repitch yeast as it is now a mix of yeast strains.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Champagne yeast generally lack the enzymatic ability to break down complex sugars, like maltose, into something it can ferment. If you are getting additional fermentation out of it as a secondary fermenter but not adding additional sugars for it to consume that is an indication of a problem with your primary fermentation yeast or you have exceeded the alcohol tolerance of the primary strain and there is only simple sugars left.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
cogster
Recipes 

I have used Champagne yeast after primary fermentation is complete. I add high fructose sugar and Champagne yeast, I let this ferment for an add'l 7-10 days, then add priming sugar and bottle as usual. I let the bottles condition for 3-4 weeks. I do not know what the final ABV is but it is potent. I use this method on Stouts and IPA. People that sample this brew really enjoy it if they are into hardy beer's. Forget it if out enjoy light beer.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
CyberDave2_0
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Red Star Champagne Yeast in ale

I'm sampling one that I bottled 2 weeks ago as we speak... which may not help the original poster two years ago (Unless Virtual Wayne finished that time travel software already) but may help other Pilgrims in future.

(Later note: Ah... I see that another poster covers this. Noted, and thanks, Cousin!)

I suggest that if you do this experiment that you keep an eyeball on the gravity because 3 days in Primary and 18 days in the secondary wasn't enough time. My FG at bottling was 1.020 (OG was 1.049).

When I used Champagne yeast for mead in 05, it went to the tertiary, several months before it cleared, and about a year in bottle before it was Most Excellent. Only a few bottles left by that time... so there ya go.

After 2 weeks in bottle, this Champale clone is ok and needs to carbonate further... and probably bottle finish before it is tolerable Lawnmower Beer.

BTW: Google Champale. Interesting historie... I recall it from the days of my mis-spent you't....

Cheers!
CyberDave2.0

Quick Reply