Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Champagne Yeast for Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
owentp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Champagne Yeast for Beer?

Anybody use champagne yeast for beer fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Look up the Sunday Session interview with Shea Comfort. There's a pile of info about why wine yeasts are potentially good and bad for beer fermentations. I just used a red wine yeast to start my first funk beer because wine yeasts leave a lot of residual sugars when fermenting wort. They are incapable of fermenting maltotriose.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Exorcisto View Post
Look up the Sunday Session interview with Shea Comfort. There's a pile of info about why wine yeasts are potentially good and bad for beer fermentations. I just used a red wine yeast to start my first funk beer because wine yeasts leave a lot of residual sugars when fermenting wort. They are incapable of fermenting maltotriose.
Wow, that is really interesting. Could you outline what you did a little? Your sig says spontaneously fermented, so did you use the wine yeast to ferment it the first way to avoid all the potentially bad things like enterobacteria?

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 01-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The thread about it is in the Wild forum, called "First Funk, Thoughts?" I'm using wine yeast as the primary fermentation yeast because it is reported to give some very big berry jam flavors and leaves a LOT to be desired in the attenuation department in beer. Once the primary ferment is complete I am racking it to secondary along with a slurry taken from a pail that my father and I use to ferment corn and barley for our chickens. The slurry smells buttery and full of pineapple and guava, so it should make for some interesting funk. Once the secondary fermentation is complete I'm going to rack it onto 5 lbs of blueberries I picked over the summer, or maybe some fresh fruit since it'll be 6 months out anyway.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

El Ex -

I'm not trying to be a douche, but I think you should check out this study regarding your sig. http://www.foodinnova.com/foodInnova/docu2/322.pdf . They tested plastic for oxygen permeability and found that a 190L tank allows 2.15mg/L of dissolved O2 in per month. For beer, you want less than 0.05mg/L of dissolved O2 to prevent premature staling. Obviously the 190L has more surface area, and thus will let in more O2, but it is still quite a bit.

I have a very low taste threshold for oxidation and noticed a huge difference when I switched to glass carboys from plastic buckets. I don't leave my beer more than 2-3 weeks in the fermenter and was still getting oxidation in the plastic.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a douche, I just want to prevent misinformation on the forum.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

MachineShop, you apparently have a rare talent for not even having to try. BJCP competitions are won often by brewers using plastic buckets to ferment in. The argument has been beaten to death on these forums and continuing it, especially by hijacking someone else's thread, is demonstrating just how talented you are.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
MachineShop, you apparently have a rare talent for not even having to try.
Thanks for calling me a douche

Quote:
BJCP competitions are won often by brewers using plastic buckets to ferment in.
I agree. I have won bjcp comps while fermenting in buckets.

Quote:
The argument has been beaten to death on these forums and continuing it, especially by hijacking someone else's thread, is demonstrating just how talented you are.
I agree also. I will start a new thread. Equating the oxygen permeability required for human life and that required to stale beer is a huge leap in logic, and qualifies as misinformation in my book. Sorry.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Champagne yeast also typically ferments very dry, which I wouldn't want in most styles of beer.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cider
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
Champagne yeast also typically ferments very dry, which I wouldn't want in most styles of beer.
Bzzz wrong. Haha, I'm seriously not trying to be a douche. Champagne yeast can't ferment maltotriose. So it actually will leave you with a very sweet beer. Listen to that interview with Shea Comfort, it was one of the most interesting things I've heard in a while.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Rex is right, listen to the Sunday Session with Shea. I just listened to it late last week, so it is fresh in my mind. Champagne yeast will ferment champagne dry, not beer.

Quick Reply