The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > cancelled brew day/ starter ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
MikeM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default cancelled brew day/ starter ?

I made a 2 liter starter with 2 smack packs on Sun June 6. I put it in the fridge Mon June 7 for a Tues June 8 Brew day. It rained so brew day got cancelled. I took the starter out of the fridge and put it in my basement for use next Tues Jun 15 (9 days after making starter). If it rains again and I don’t get to brew can I use it next Tues (16 days after being made)? If not what can I do to salvage the yeast and use it in the correct amount?
Thanks,
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Put it in a mason jar and leave it in your fridge, then a couple days before you can brew again, make another starter with it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
MikeM
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

cool, so lets say I make another starter-should I use all of the yeast in the final starter or just a portion of it?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It's up to you. I would decant the liquid on top of the yeast off, and add all the yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply