New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can you use actively fermenting wort as yeast starter.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
poponon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Can you use actively fermenting wort as yeast starter.

Hi, I'm currently brewing a batch of beer and have made a yeast starter a few hours ago, however i'm unsure of the legitmacy of it... I can't tell if its began fermentation.

I took the original yeast from a previous brew... it had been sitting out for a few hours tho after it had been sipohoned into a keg.

I have another batch fermenting in my chiller right now, so I'm wondering if i could just collect some of the fermenting wort with a turkey baster to use as a yeast starter

any help is reeally appreciated couple mins left on the mash out before we start the boil!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're good, use the stuff you made the starter with. When I'm motivated I try to wash my yeast really well and leave it in the fridge. Take it out to warm up a few hours and you're good. Granted, you have a starter's worth of unfermented starter but the yeast is fine. To me, it's about getting enough yeast in there. If you made a starter a day ahead of time and your fermentation starts quick, rock on, but otherwise it'll be just fine.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 12-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

You can actually skim a decent amount off of the top and pitch it directly into your next batch as long as you have a healthy fermentation going.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
WoodlandBrew
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 54

A few hours will not effect viability much at all. The sterol content will drop just a little which means it will take a little more time to get going. Same goes for yeast stored for months in the fridge.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Quick Reply