Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > can you re-cap your carboy after racking and pitch onto it later?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default can you re-cap your carboy after racking and pitch onto it later?

I would love to get my American Brown into the secondary for dry-hopping today. However, I was planning to brew a barleywine and pitch that onto the S-05 cake from the brown....

...is it possible to make a clean siphon of the beer and then just re-cap the trub/yeast cake, airlock and all, to save for another day (I would keep it in my garage down into the mid to upper 40's this time of year)? If so, how much time before I would risk spoilage of the yeast cake? Does anyone have any experience or techniques for doing this they could share?

thanks as always!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

what about this? Could I just fill a large sanitized jar with as much of the yeast cake as possible and then refrigerate until I can get in a brew day?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
BigJay13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
what about this? Could I just fill a large sanitized jar with as much of the yeast cake as possible and then refrigerate until I can get in a brew day?
Probably a better bet. Check out the yeast washing sticky and you'll be good to go.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:17 AM   #4
Richabt
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have had success doing it both ways. That said, taking the time to wash it would probably be the best way.

Quick Reply