Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can you always just pitch more yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Soulshine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can you always just pitch more yeast?

So I am brewing a very high gravity beer. Starting off with a starter and standard yeast strain and then few days in doing starter again and adding a super high gravity yeast. If by chance the yeast stop working before I hit my desired final gravity (and I still have sugars to add) could I just add another vial of yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Yes and no...getting a stalled ferment, especially stalled on a high gravity brew where you are likely trying to start up fermentation when there is already a good percentage of alcohol present is unpredictable and doesn't favor success. There are techniques to accomplish the task that may work; but, the best bet is to have an entire plan of attack on how you will ferment the bad boy out from the get go instead of hoping for the best and relying on a crutch to save you. It looks like you have some thought into it already. My best advice is to use a large starter, yeast nutrient, and plenty of O2, keep the temp in check at first but allow it to slowly rise to help finish it out, and if you are using sugar add it after fermentation has begun as it lowers the osmotic pressure the yeast have to start in and gives them something really easy to chew into after they have gotten used to their toxic environment.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Soulshine
Recipes 

thanks for the advice..

Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Agreed. Starting with a yeast for flavor then adding a highly tolerant yeast to finish things out sounds like a good plan of attack. Adding more of the same high gravity yeast probably isn't going to help much. (also +1 to adding the sugar later into the fermentation)

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I never recommend adding more yeast- treat your yeast properly the first time so they can finish out the job. If you HAVE to repitch, though, you should do it when your starter is at high krausen. You're dumping your yeast into a highly acidic, high toxin (alcohol) environment. It's very different from adding yeast to unfermented wort which is a higher pH and no alcohol, with lots of nutrients.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Denny Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I never recommend adding more yeast- treat your yeast properly the first time so they can finish out the job. If you HAVE to repitch, though, you should do it when your starter is at high krausen. You're dumping your yeast into a highly acidic, high toxin (alcohol) environment. It's very different from adding yeast to unfermented wort which is a higher pH and no alcohol, with lots of nutrients.
I agree. Almost any beer yeast will do 10-12% ABV.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Soulshine
Recipes 

Going for 22% on this bad boy. Have researched for months. final recipe calls for 8 oz of dextrose added 2X daily for 2 weeks. Hops added each night for 3 weeks.
Hoping the yeast hangs in there long enough to at least get over 20%.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulshine View Post
Going for 22% on this bad boy. Have researched for months. final recipe calls for 8 oz of dextrose added 2X daily for 2 weeks. Hops added each night for 3 weeks.
Hoping the yeast hangs in there long enough to at least get over 20%.
You will definitely need the WLP099 in that environment...heck, most wine yeast won't tolerate that high of an alcohol percentage.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Soulshine
Recipes 

So I did hit my final gravity and beer came in at 21% but its really sweet. Think I went a day or two too much adding the dextrose. Probably should have called that off. Disappointed in how sweet it is but happy with everything else. I just didn't anticipate hitting that 21% so quickly. Hoping carbonation and aging hides the corn sugar taste somewhat. Thanks again for the advice. I did use the two yeast as suggested:

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Did a starter 3 days prior]
1 Pkgs Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP099) [Did a a starter and pitched 5 days into fermentation]

Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

That's awesome! At 21% ABV I wonder is some of that sweetness is the result of autolysis. This is one you will want to rack to a secondary sooner rather than later.

Also, I've been doing some experiments with yeast in high ABV environments, and you may be able to squeeze out a few more gravity points by repitching high gravity yeast from a starter that has reached it's krousen peak.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Quick Reply