Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can a REALLY skunky beer hurt you?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
kimeye01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can a REALLY skunky beer hurt you?

I've been fermenting a poorly boiled brown ale for over 1.5 years and finally kegged it. I didn't have hopes that it would actually taste good however I want to make sure there is no potential for physical illness.

Any ideas about this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Why would it be skunky? You didn't mention anything about light exposure. I think it's widely believed that no human pathogens can reproduce in beer (of the few that can live). Beer is safe to drink. It may not always taste good, but I don't think there's any reason to think it will harm you.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You ever drink Corona? Thats skunky! No you should be fine. No pathogens can live in beer. May taste bad from oxydation maybe, but it won't kill you. Or it might even be really good. Guess you won't know until you try it.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Nothing Pathogenic can exist in beer. Even infected beer (which is not what skunky is) can't harm you. It may be unpleasant to drink, or even to smell, but it couldn't hurt you. The magic of fermentation is that, due to everything from the boil, to the addition of hops to fermentation makes beer safe to drink, often safer that the water it was made with.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
kimeye01
Recipes 

This is good information to know. Thanks!

FYI: I tried it last night and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was prepared for. In fact, I rather like it.

Quick Reply