*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can my beer be saved?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
kdip1313
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can my beer be saved?

So a while ago I went home and helped my dad brew some beer, but then came back to college and haven't been home in a long time. My dad was going to bottle it himself but then he got busy, this and that... long story short, the beer has been sitting in the carboy since the end of September.

It has been sealed so it should not be contaminated with anything from the outside, but I'm guessing all of the yeast is probably dead by now so it won't work to throw the sugar in it and bottle it. Is it possible to add some more yeast and get it started again so that I can add sugar to bottle it and get beer that's actually carbonated? Or is it too late and I should just cut my loses and start over?

Does anybody have any suggestions to try to save it or any experience with this kind of situation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

People have left their beer for a year with no issues. You'll be fine. Proceed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

JordanThomas Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Proceed as you normally would with bottling. It'll most likely be fine. The yeast won't be dead- just asleep. Your priming solution should rouse them and still carb up your brew. RDWHAHB.

People Like This 

Quick Reply