The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can I use Munton's Gold?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
joeirvine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can I use Munton's Gold?

I am about to embark on my first partial mash after work today. I ordered up all the ingredients for an Irish Red and like a dummy forgot to order the yeast..... The recipe calls for Nottingham. I have a ton of Munton's Gold and Cooper's Ale lying around. Will either of these be find to use? I think from what I under stand the Munton's is a decent all purpose and can be similar to Nottingham.... As for temps is there a way to possibly control the temp while using either of these that could make it come out similar to Nottingham?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeirvine
I am about to embark on my first partial mash after work today. I ordered up all the ingredients for an Irish Red and like a dummy forgot to order the yeast..... The recipe calls for Nottingham. I have a ton of Munton's Gold and Cooper's Ale lying around. Will either of these be find to use? I think from what I under stand the Munton's is a decent all purpose and can be similar to Nottingham.... As for temps is there a way to possibly control the temp while using either of these that could make it come out similar to Nottingham?
Use the ale yeast

Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They are both ale yeast.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
joeirvine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

^^^ haha yea that's kind of what I was thinking.

Quick Reply