Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can I use bottom fermenting yeast with a beer kit that comes with top fermenting yeas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
kcusmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I use bottom fermenting yeast with a beer kit that comes with top fermenting yeas

Hello,

I want to start brewing beer, and I want to start off easy. So, I just want to buy a beer kit. The one I chose was Munton's American Light. Here is the problem, I am living here in Germany, long story, and the only place I can store beer is in the cellar. It has no heating and is quite cold even in the summer. Right now it is 53 degrees. But the Munton's beer kit that I want, comes with top fermenting yeast. So, can I use the bottom fermenting yeast with the beer kit? I contacted Muntons brewing company and asked, they suggested that I buy a brewing belt. But I don't want to for two reasons. One, I have a very limited budget since I am a student and 2, I have been reading about the types of yeast and it sounds like I would prefer the bottom fermenting yeast from the resulting taste. I would really appreciate anyone who answers, this is the first time even typed on a forum, so I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

THANKS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Welcome to the forum. It will be fine to use the bottom-fermenting (lager) yeast. Many brewers use ale yeasts in lagers and vice versa and it's always fun to experiment. You will make a good beer, no worries.. different, but good nonetheless.

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 03-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
hairy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

welcome kcusmc! It is surely fine to use a bottom fermenting yeast for your kit. Don't worry. You might even appreciate the difference! That's the beauty of homebrewing, you can do your own style according to what you want. The best part is that it almost always doesn't turn out bad.

Using strange spices in large quantities is an exception though.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
JVD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would Lager (cold condition) your batch for at least 3-4 weeks after fementation has stopped @ 10f below your fermentation temp if using a lager yeast for best results!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
kcusmc
Recipes 

Thanks a lot everyone, can't wait to start

Tags
beerkit, fermentation, temperature, yeast

Quick Reply