New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can I start fermentation with another fermenters wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
BVilleggiante
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Can I start fermentation with another fermenters wort?

So, I brew 10 gallons and split them into five gallon fermenters. A couple of days ago, I did two starters for each fermenter, but ran out of time to properly cool them. That being said, when I pitched the starters, one fermenter had live yeast and it took off, while the other apparently had dead yeast and it did not. My question is, can I take wort from the fermenter that is fermenting and add it to the one that did not? If so, would I add the same amount of wort to it that was my starter size? In this case, that would be 1.27 liters.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1683 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 2451

SWAG
I have no facts to base this on but I don't believe there is as much yeast in 1.27 liters of fermenting wort as there would be from 1.27 liters of a starter. But there might be enough yeast in 1.27 liters of fermenting wort to make a fresh starter.

Even if you could make a starter with fermenting wort it would still take a day and that would be another day the sweet vulnerable wort would be exposed. If you have more yeast just pitch some or if a LHBS is close buy a pack of dry yeast and pitch into the brew bucket/carboy.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 2619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
SWAG
I have no facts to base this on but I don't believe there is as much yeast in 1.27 liters of fermenting wort as there would be from 1.27 liters of a starter. But there might be enough yeast in 1.27 liters of fermenting wort to make a fresh starter.

Even if you could make a starter with fermenting wort it would still take a day and that would be another day the sweet vulnerable wort would be exposed. If you have more yeast just pitch some or if a LHBS is close buy a pack of dry yeast and pitch into the brew bucket/carboy.
I agree with this ^

You could indeed use 1.27L of your wort to make a starter, but it would likely take a few step-ups. That could take as long as a week or more, so buying more yeast or using dry yeast would be a better option..

Quick Reply