Can I split a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemidoc

Reaction score
I've been growing starters from White Labs viles.
Here is my Idea: Grow a 2L starter then split that into four jars. Then grow a new starter from each of those.
Really then getting four batches from one vile.

This will work well for you. Just make a new starter with each of the four jars you ended up with, prior to brewing and pitch. After your beer is ready, harvest the yeast to use again in another starter.

That would probably work. I just make and extra 500 ml of starter and split it off and put it in the fridge for next time. It is around 80 bil cells that I have extra. I calculate off of 80 bil for my next starter.

This is what I did the last time I made a starter. I make mostly IPAs and like the Gigayeast Vermont IPA yeast, which is close to $10/pack so I just split it up like you said. I'm going to make a starter from each and then save a 500 ml sample from each starter to keep it going. I've tried harvesting yeast from a brewed batch but I've never really been confident in my methods and have never used any yeast that I saved because of it. I have no reservations at all with saving yeast from a yeast starter.

Thanks guys.
In progress now. Started original the starter Monday.
ETA: By doing this I can get four batches from one vile cutting my yeast cost by four.
One vile of White Labs 6.50/4=cheap

I do it all the time. great way to save $ and have to make less trips to the LHBS.

Does anybody have any experience with putting a jar aside for a month or so down the road?

A month, if you do a starter, is probably going to be fine.

I prefer this method to washing / repitching, as there is less chance of contamination, you can sterilize your equipment at the smaller scale, and no trub, no hops, etc. to worry about.

I commonly leave a "resting" starter in the fridge for months. By that I mean, I take the yeast out of the fridge, and step starter it up to a liter. I don't have a stir plate, so it can take four or five days to build up 1/2" or so of new yeast. When I am ready to pitch my yeast, I pour all but maybe an ounce or so of the starter into my fermenter, add some fresh wort to the yeast jar, and wait until there is solid activity in the yeast jar, and put it in the fridge until I need it again.

I commonly leave a "resting" starter in the fridge for months. By that I mean, I take the yeast out of the fridge, and step starter it up to a liter. I don't have a stir plate, so it can take four or five days to build up 1/2" or so of new yeast. When I am ready to pitch my yeast, I pour all but maybe an ounce or so of the starter into my fermenter, add some fresh wort to the yeast jar, and wait until there is solid activity in the yeast jar, and put it in the fridge until I need it again.

Are there any special precautions you take to keep infections out of the "resting" yeast?

Back