Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can I pitch my yeast yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
PVH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

For me, it's about the size of the starter. I have no problem pitching a small starter into the wort. However, huge lager starters would alter the character of the beer unless I match the starter to the wort, and thats a PITA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
bobz
Recipes 

To kanzimonson - you have to be kidding - Happy New Year and keep on pitching your starter.
bobz

Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure what you're objecting to here... You ever raise temp at the end of fermentation to clean up diacetyl? Similar principle.

Granted, if I'm going to require a starter larger than 2L then I'll plan ahead to chill and decant, but I just don't worry about it. For example, I pitched the nastiest smelling sulfur bomb of 1762 into a golden strong... Not a trace of sulfur in the final beer.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
bellsbrat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

bobz,
Listen to this show on yeast starters Jamil and John Palmer
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/sho...Yeast-Starters
They strongly recommend starters

Keg1: Zombie Dust Clone
Keg2: Pils1
Keg3: Pils2 Dry Hopped
Keg4: Centennial blonde
Bottled: Northern German Alt, Surly Cynic
Future:

Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Oh, and if anything, reading the Jamil and White book made me less worrisome about pitching starters. I loved the yeast metabolism stuff.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
bobz
Recipes 

The yeast book is excellent reference. My copy was signed at the WBF after the GABF. I wished he had spent more time on aerobic propagation. The starter thing is one of good practice. 99% of the time I use pure cultures and aerobically propagate with a stir plate and air pump into the vessel. The difference between swill and a 40 pt beer is in the details. Yeast Nutrients are a must especially if you are using DME or extract. Sorry if I offended anyone.
bobz

Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #17
swatman260
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, the brew is made and the yeast has been pitched. It was a small (1L) starter, so I pitched starter and all. Hopefully active fermentation will kick off pretty quickly. My starter fermented really well, so I hope the beer does the same. Thank you to everyone who weighed in on this topic. Sometimes I realize just how much I have left to learn.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz View Post
The yeast book is excellent reference. My copy was signed at the WBF after the GABF. I wished he had spent more time on aerobic propagation. The starter thing is one of good practice. 99% of the time I use pure cultures and aerobically propagate with a stir plate and air pump into the vessel. The difference between swill and a 40 pt beer is in the details. Yeast Nutrients are a must especially if you are using DME or extract. Sorry if I offended anyone.
bobz
You know, this is a great point when it comes to the little differences it takes to make a superior beer.

I'm always bitching at people on HBT about dumping onto yeast cakes, and while this is probably a much more grave mistake than pitching the starter liquid, you're exactly right that we shouldn't take any chances with any step in our process, EVER. What it comes down to in both cases is laziness and preparedness... maybe I'll rethink this.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
bobz
Recipes 

Chris White has nailed it. This book is a must if you are any kind of brewer. I have made the statement in my talks at several home brew clubs that if you do not have a stir plate you are not a serious brewer. Yeast and fermentation temp control are the most important elements of brewing. It is astounding to me as to how many home brewers have no clue as to how much yeast to pitch or how to grow yeast. Why spend 6 1/2 hours to make a dumper.
bobz

Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz View Post
Chris White has nailed it. This book is a must if you are any kind of brewer. I have made the statement in my talks at several home brew clubs that if you do not have a stir plate you are not a serious brewer. Yeast and fermentation temp control are the most important elements of brewing. It is astounding to me as to how many home brewers have no clue as to how much yeast to pitch or how to grow yeast. Why spend 6 1/2 hours to make a dumper.
bobz
I'm not going to disagree with you about best brewing habits, but I think the point was missed. We are not all aspiring to be professional brewers; many just enjoy making their own beer for themselves, friends, and family. This hobby has room for every level of interest and we are here to help all and learn from all. Personally, I try to read as much as I can and gather as much info as I can to develop the best practices I can, so your info is appreciated. I do wish you would provide links or references to the info you cited however.

I think the point IS that a relatively new brewer (using 24 hr clock so probably a military man) jumped on here to ask if it was ok to do what he needed to do to brew beer when he had time to in the midst of a busy schedule. We were trying to assure him that he was ok, beer is hard to screw up, do what you gotta and learn from the experience, RDWHAHB, etc.

You on the other hand throw out cryptic responses perpetuating noob anxiety and boogie-men. I just don't think its necessary to throw around words like swill and dumper when someone is obviously just looking for some reassurance...its not like he asked if it is ok to piss in his bucket to sanitize!

Some might say its a good way to get called an EAC ...just sayin'!!!

Quick Reply