The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can I culture yeast from Juniper Berries?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #101
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2958 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2499

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Passedpawn, that looks deeelish, it's hard to tell, is there a little haze still?
I opened one tonight and put it in front of the newspaper. It's really clear. This crazy wild yeast did a nice job.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #102
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I opened one tonight and put it in front of the newspaper. It's really clear. This crazy wild yeast did a nice job.
YES! That is nice clarity, I suspect that whenever (If ever) I do a lighter beer I will be able to see this clarity.

I don't have much new technical info regarding my yeast, The sweet stout is almost conditioned and so far it is what we wanted, quite creamy with a hint of sweet maltiness mixed with the roast, here's a picture:

I have started to "top crop" the ale yeast, I pulled it from the krausen of a Jalapeno beer last week and have already used it on a "Phunkin Wheat". Here's a pic while it was chilling:

So this will be the first time using it in a wheat beer. It was rocking the next morning.

All these tests I've been doing really doesn't compare the yeast to any other known yeast, I want to do this at some point. In the meantime I find we are neglecting all the other washed yeast in the fridge, I'm using this for everything. It is now grape picking time and I will probably try this in my wine also, it has done a fine job on the cherry wine, so far it is down to 1.008, it's still got a little ways to go and the cherry wine tastes as good as previous years batches and tastes exactly the same as the 1118 batch.

I've calculated the average apparent attenuation to be 72.425, this includes the high gravity test batches. The yeast floculates quickly and is very hard and tight, I suspect the top cropped yeast will be even more compact.

That is all for now

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #103
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
All these tests I've been doing really doesn't compare the yeast to any other known yeast, I want to do this at some point.
I split a batch of pale ale this wkend between this juniper yeast and some S-05. So that should make a nice comparison.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #104
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This thread rocks my socks off. I need to go harvest some local Maryland yeast next season.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #105
cinderbike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'll see what we have here in SoCal.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #106
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Almost forgot about this, I partygyled some third runnings off the "Phunkin Wheat" brew above and innoculated it with some airborne yeast that infected the hydro sample of the previous jalapeno beer. It's making alot of yeast, so far it smells OK. I doubt I will buy yeast again, ever.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #107
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I split a batch of pale ale this wkend between this juniper yeast and some S-05. So that should make a nice comparison.
OK, replying to my own post.

I just tested my split batch of pale ale. It's been fermenting in my chest freezer at 62°F. 10 gallon batch, split between two fermenters.

Original Gravity = 1.054 (brewed October 3)
Fermentis S-05 Yeast - 1.016
Wild Juniper Berry Yeast - 1.008
Some small clove taste in the Juniper sample. I got this before, too, and it went away.

So, it does seem that this wild yeast I grabbed from a bush in my neighborhood is a great attenuator. I'd like to add that attenuation is not always a good thing: the Fermentis beer sample tasted better. I'll reserve judgement until the comparison beers are bottled and conditioned.

With the cold weather coming (relative statement here in FL), I'll be jumping into lagers soon. So, I will try this Juniper yeast as a lager, probably in a split batch of German Pils.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #108
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

My Juniper Berry Pale Ale (see above) has been in a bottle for a week, as well as the control beer (with S-05). I did a side-by-side. Here's some notes:

• S-05 made a good pale ale. Nice hop aroma and flavor, with some malt backbone to support the hops.
  • Juniper Pale Ale finshed way too low (FG), and the body is fairly thin.
  • Juniper Pale Ale has a slight clovey aroma that mixes with the hop aroma and ruins the hoppy aroma.
  • Juniper pale ale has a slightly clovey flavor that mixes with the hop flavor and creates an odd resulting flavor, really not pale-ale-like.
  • Juniper Pale Ale was more highly carbonated; very nice frothy sticky head.
Overall, the S-05 made a much more satisfying pale ale. This yeast was a little estery and is probably best left to american wheats, wits, etc.

I have dumped the rest of this yeast and doubt I will repeat this experiment until the zombie apocalypse.

Last edited by passedpawn; 10-31-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added pic

Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #109
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Excellent, thanx for the update, I assume it attenuated very high again, please post the attenuation or the OG and FG with your picture. EDIT: never mind I see it above^

I still haven't used mine in anything I want to compare with another yeast so not really any new details. I've used it on some white and red grape wine which is still fermenting and another batch of chili beer and a batch of phunkin wheat, seems like I'm missing something.

The latest strains do seem to be getting more and more attenuative, if it goes too far I will simply start over with the initial sample that was taken, also flocculation is still very tight and compact, it is doing a great job for us so far, it's all we're using.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #110
beerandcoding
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to give a quick update. The smoked wheat (gratzer-ish) beer I brewed turned out pretty well. A calculation goof on my part put the IBU around 40, instead of the 15 I was shooting for.

I did a quick review of the beer on my site a few weeks ago: Wild Smoked Wheat Update

Last night I brewed a Biere de Garde using a culture of yeast I saved from the smoked wheat. When I checked on it this morning (~11 hours after pitching) it already had a full krausen.

Cheers!
Kevin

Quick Reply