Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can I bottle it yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
EricM83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I bottle it yet?

Kinda new here, I've had my beer in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks as of 3-17. I've only made beer 3 or 4 times before, but have always bottled around 2 weeks. But I still see a bubble in the air lock every 15 seconds or so. Shouldn't it be done by now? Should I take a hydrometer reading or just let it be? If it helps, I'm making a Belgian White Beer. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

its been said a great many times on here and ill say it again. an airlock is not a fermentation indicator its a pressure release valve. take some SG readings. wait 3-ish days and take another. if they are both exactly the same then fermentation is done and your safe to bottle. if they are not the same then there is still some fermentation going on and you should wait another week then do the SG check again.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This is correct! I used to rely on the airlock and found that I could have actually bottled my beers MUCH earlier then the month I was waiting.

HOWEVER . . . there is some thought that leaving the beer in the primary for a month, while also heating it up to around 70-73F the last few days before bottling will help remove a lot of the bad/off flavors creating during the fermentation process.

Quick Reply