Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can flaked corn or wheat be used with 2-row to make a yeast starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default Can flaked corn or wheat be used with 2-row to make a yeast starter?

Can flaked corn or wheat be used with 2-row to make a yeast starter?

I have lots of left over flaked corn/wheat and thought about making a yeast starter with 3 parts 2-row or pilsen malt and 1 part flaked corn/wheat.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Yes, they can. The question is should you do it. Yeasts prefer different sugars over others and the majority of sugar you want your yeast to consume are maltose sugars. By creating a starter with a different food source other than maltose, the yeast can stress a bit as they have to change gears and switch over to a different food source.

Stress in yeast produces off flavors that usually express themselves in fruity esters or spicy phelonics, or both. Depending on the style of the beer, this is either a good thing or a bad thing. For example, it'd make no difference in a nice Belgian ale as fruit and spice is a desirable characteristic of the style of beer. However, if you're brewing a pilsner, these flavors would be considered flaws and would be unwanted.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I am making a starter for an oatmeal stout. I understand your point about the type(s) of sugar that the yeast will want to consume and agree that I should have stuck with just 2-row. I still wonder if this would be OK for a stout type beer. The grain is not that expensive but I have already mashed the starter grain with the corn and rice. It is 30 minutes into a 60 minute boil.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Can flaked corn or wheat be used with 2-row to make a yeast starter?

I have lots of left over flaked corn/wheat and thought about making a yeast starter with 3 parts 2-row or pilsen malt and 1 part flaked corn/wheat.
Yes, if you mash it.

Quick Reply