Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can anyone confirm or deny that you can harvest yeast from Bell's Two Hearted?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Default Can anyone confirm or deny that you can harvest yeast from Bell's Two Hearted?

I know we have the Commercial Beer Yeast Harvest List thread and I asked in there, but didn't get much response. I've heard 2 people say that you can't harvest from Bell's Two Hearted. One said they use a different bottling yeast and the other said they filter.

I was able to harvest some yeast from a bottle back in October. I had activity in the starter with just the dregs and I stepped it up and I successfully made the Bell's Two Hearted clone with it and it tasted great. I also saved some of the yeast, but haven't used it yet. I'm at the point where I want to either use it, regrow some more because it's almost 6 months old or pitch it because I'm concerned I may just have their bottling yeast.

I did find this on the Bell's website:

Quote:
since we don’t filter any of our ales either, you can harvest it directly from the bottle.
They don't specifically mention Two Hearted (probably because of the higher alcohol content making it not as good of choice as their lower alcohol beers for harvesting). But at least they gives me hope that what I have is their house primary fermentation yeast and not a bottling yeast.

So can anyone confirm or deny that you can harvest their primary yeast from Bell's Two Hearted?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Doctor_M
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 177

I've never done it myself but everything I've read says you can. I think maybe your seeing people not recommend to do it since 7% is a tad high and the yeast are probably stressed out/ possibly mutated at that point. Everything I've read suggests harvesting their yeast from lower abv beers from their line up like their brown ale or Oberon.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
mtnagel
Recipes 

Yeah, I know about that, but I was able to find a single of Bell's Two Hearted at the time and not a single of the others and I know people said they did it before.

But the one person said they filtered it now and the other said they used a different bottling yeast.

(Would filtering mean you can't harvest from the bottle because clearly I got something unless I got some wild yeast?)

Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
HumulusHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I made a two hearted clone once.

I also used a yeast harvested from bells. but i had read that harvesting from a 2h bottle would be hard due to the higher alc.

Found out that the Amber ale uses the same yeast as 2h. I was successfully able to brew a beer with that harvested yeast.

Try the amber!

Old 04-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
mtnagel
Recipes 

Yeah, I may do that. I think I'm leaning towards just throwing out what I have due to the uncertainty.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
mtnagel
Recipes 

Wow, I should have just emailed Bells sooner. I just emailed them and had a response in less than an hour. Here is the response:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We always appreciate hearing from homebrewers. We use the same house yeast in nearly all of our ales including Two Hearted. We usually recommend lower gravity beers like Amber Ale and Best Brown. You can try using Two Hearted but our concern is that the yeast will already be stressed.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything else I can assist you with.
So just like I thought it's due to the higher ABV. But at least I know what I have now.
People Like This 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
lousbrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah bells uses only 2 strains for all brews. One is ale yeast and other is lager yeast. When I toured it they stated it would be rather difficult to propagate but didn't say why. I say challenge accepted.

Serving:
1-Apfelwein
2-Session Breakfast Stout
3-Belgain Cider

Conditioning:
Lambic
Dark Saison Framboise
ESB

Bottle Conditioning
Sour Saison (Brett B. Trois+ Lacto.)
Sour Saison (Brett C.+ Lacto.)

Primary:
Sour IPA
IPA
Fall Saison

Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
hater
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I successfully harvested yeast from Oberon 2 weeks ago, they use the same yeast as 2 hearted from what i have read.

You will probably have better luck harvesting from Oberon since it was just released 2 weeks ago and has pretty fresh yeast.

I took the last ounce or so from a 6 pack and a 1.030 starter and it took about 2 days on the stir plate before i saw any activity.

I split that yeast into 3 mason jars and used 1 to make an Oberon clone last weekend and am going to make a 2 hearted clone this weekend.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Riot
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's always worth trying the brewery if you have yeast questions. A lot of them are really cool, and have no problem sharing information with homebrewers.

Hater - how big of a starter did you use? I very rarely see that kind of delay on bottle cultures. All personal experience of course, but I've grown more pitches from bottles than I've purchased.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
mtnagel
Recipes 

Both times I've harvested from bottles/cans (Heady Topper and Two Hearted), they both took 4-5 days to show any signs of fermentation. But they both eventually did start and I was able to do multi step starters to grow more. I think I started with ~100 ml both times and didn't use a stirplate.

Quick Reply