*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Camping stove?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Lushife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

If you use best practice procedures and properly sanitize then there should be no worries. This goes for the entire process as it is not the only time transfers will be involved in the brewing process.

Anything that comes in contact with your chilled wort or finished beer has the potential to infect the batch so now is the time to understand and master your cleaning and sanitizing procedures
Well yeah I'm pretty good about sanitizing everything I just wanted to have one less thing to worry about.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Lush -

I'd say you are on the right track with the "one less thing to worry about" attitude. No point in worrying with a transfer from kettle to flask if you can easily avoid it. I boil on a regular electric coil stove all the time. I just use a wire gauze - http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/20932/10-4000

Matt hit it on the head - get some FermCap or gas drop and there is 0% chance of boiling over.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 515 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ah, you're all a bunch of worry-worts (pun intended) in regards to contamination. It takes a lot less time to cool your wort in a big pot than it does in a flask. Less time spent cooling equals less chance of contamination, so it's a trade-off.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I use a camping stove indoors(with the window open) and don't have any problems at all. However, I do first boil the starter wort in a pot on the regular stove first until the hot break is over, and then transfer it to the flask to continue the boil for 10 minutes or so on the camping stove.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #15
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 476 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsmith
I use a camping stove indoors(with the window open) and don't have any problems at all. However, I do first boil the starter wort in a pot on the regular stove first until the hot break is over, and then transfer it to the flask to continue the boil for 10 minutes or so on the camping stove.
IMO, windows open does not create a safe environment to burn propane indoors and personally I wouldn't be recommending that

Second, while I understand you boiling the way you do you are also increasing opportunity for accident by transferring a boiling hot liquid between vessels when really not necessary, get some Ferm Cap and the flask won't gush on you.

Sorry, I'm a parent and have read too many threads of people getting hurt unnecessarily.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 AM   #16
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Boil it on the stove and get the good quality flask that you can just dip in an ice bath in the sink and it cools down really quick. As for the boil over issue, just watch it as it heats, take the time to read up on one of your homebrew books you have or should have, and then turn down the heat. I haven't had an issue with boil overs for awhile but it never hurts to have an oven mitt handy.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #17
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
IMO, windows open does not create a safe environment to burn propane indoors and personally I wouldn't be recommending that

Second, while I understand you boiling the way you do you are also increasing opportunity for accident by transferring a boiling hot liquid between vessels when really not necessary, get some Ferm Cap and the flask won't gush on you.

Sorry, I'm a parent and have read too many threads of people getting hurt unnecessarily.
Meh I suppose the transfer isn't the safest thing in the world, but the amount of liquid transferred is tiny because you don't need to use the full starter volume to dissolve the DME into it. I keep most of the liquid in the flask.

As for the stove, as long as you are watching the flame to make sure it doesn't go out and have some good ventilation, I don't think there is much to worry about, but there is nothing wrong with being overly cautious and doing it on the porch if it feels safer

Old 11-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
Lushife
Recipes 

I used it inside during the blackout and it was ok.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Ah, you're all a bunch of worry-worts (pun intended) in regards to contamination. It takes a lot less time to cool your wort in a big pot than it does in a flask. Less time spent cooling equals less chance of contamination, so it's a trade-off.
As long as you have sanitized foil over the top of the flask contaminants won't be able to get in, so that's not really a worry.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #20
Lushife
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte

As long as you have sanitized foil over the top of the flask contaminants won't be able to get in, so that's not really a worry.
Can you put those special foam stoppers on a hot flask?

Quick Reply