Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   Camping stove? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/camping-stove-370672/)

Lushife 11-28-2012 06:58 PM

Camping stove?
 
I'm gonna be getting a yeast starter kit soon. A problem I have is that my stove is electric but I do have a. Propane camping stove. One of those two burner Coleman things. What I was wonder is if it would be okay to make starters in the flask using the camp stove. Thanks.

Psych 11-28-2012 07:48 PM

Probably would be, just cautious about using propane indoors and stuff as it can produce lots of bad gases etc. Heat is heat...you can't use those flasks on a electric coil or ceramic-top stove?

duboman 11-28-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lushife
I'm gonna be getting a yeast starter kit soon. A problem I have is that my stove is electric but I do have a. Propane camping stove. One of those two burner Coleman things. What I was wonder is if it would be okay to make starters in the flask using the camp stove. Thanks.

It'll work fine but not indoors. Do not burn propane indoors:)

LandoLincoln 11-28-2012 09:23 PM

I personally find it a nightmare to boil a starter in the flask (wort volcano, anyone?). I just boil in a big pot and then once the starter wort is cool then I transfer to the flask and pitch the yeast.

pstrohs 11-28-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landolincoln (Post 4630441)
i personally find it a nightmare to boil a starter in the flask (wort volcano, anyone?). I just boil in a big pot and then once the starter wort is cool then i transfer to the flask and pitch the yeast.

+1

matt2778 11-29-2012 12:56 AM

I love boiling starters in a flask. My feeling is boiling in the flask eliminates any possible transfer infections that may result from boiling in a separate vessel. As for the volcano effect you can either spend the money on fermcap or use infant gas drops(same stuff at half the price) to stop the foam. You only need two or three drops in a 2 liter starter.

Leithoa 11-29-2012 01:10 AM

Psych: Some people report increased rate of breakage on standard coil electric elements. Flat cooktops shouldn't be a problem as they're not unlike lab hotplates in their heat distribution.

Some other HBTers talking about borosilicate heating methods: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/erl...ve-top-181445/

matt2778 11-29-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leithoa (Post 4631147)
Psych: Some people report increased rate of breakage on standard coil electric elements. Flat cooktops shouldn't be a problem as they're not unlike lab hotplates in their heat distribution.

Some other HBTers talking about borosilicate heating methods: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/erl...ve-top-181445/

I've been using a ceramic top electric range without issue. I've also heard of some people using a heavy pan to evenly distribute the heat from coil burners.

Lushife 11-29-2012 02:56 AM

Thanks everyone. The reason I wanna boil in the flask is cause I'm worried about the wort getting contaminated while cooling or transferring.

duboman 11-29-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lushife
Thanks everyone. The reason I wanna boil in the flask is cause I'm worried about the wort getting contaminated while cooling or transferring.

If you use best practice procedures and properly sanitize then there should be no worries. This goes for the entire process as it is not the only time transfers will be involved in the brewing process.

Anything that comes in contact with your chilled wort or finished beer has the potential to infect the batch so now is the time to understand and master your cleaning and sanitizing procedures:)


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.