Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > California Lager Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
McCuckerson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default California Lager Yeast

Hey everybody, I have been doing some experimenting with Wyeast’s California Lager yeast. I was attracted to the possibility of making a lager with out the “lagering” if you know what I mean. Anyway I have made several beers using this yeast ranging from a light lager to a steam beer. Here is what I found: This yeast makes a really good lager with a malty backbone. I plan to use it for my Oktoberfest beers this fall and my holiday beer. Because it produces very noticeable malty flavors it tasted darn funny in a light lager. I mean not bad just out of place. It didn’t have that “snap” that a good light lager should have.
Conclusion: California Lager can be successfully used for lagers when a malty flavor is desired; do not use it as substitute lager yeast for the lighter brews.
OBTW it makes really clear beer!

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
jdp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thats funny, I have found that both wyeast and white labs cal lager yeast works very well for light lagers because it doesn't impart much in the way of off flavors. Maybe I just like maltier tasting beers, But I wouldn't consider the one I am drinking right now "malty". It DOES clear up nicely though! How long were your lighter lagers conditioned, and what temp did you ferment?

niedrige Klasse Braugesellschaft

Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp View Post
Thats funny, I have found that both wyeast and white labs cal lager yeast works very well for light lagers because it doesn't impart much in the way of off flavors. Maybe I just like maltier tasting beers, But I wouldn't consider the one I am drinking right now "malty". It DOES clear up nicely though! How long were your lighter lagers conditioned, and what temp did you ferment?
I conditioned for 4 weeks @ 34f, fermentation goal was 68f for 2 weeks, I probably wandered a bit there though. All in all I like the yeast strain.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Austin_
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've made several batches of the same Oktoberfest recipe, minus the yeast, with both Cali Lager and a Kolsch yeast. I find the Kolsch yeast tastes a little maltier, but that's my own tastebud's opinion. The Cali Lager yeast tasted fine, though it did get marked down in the HBT competition for not being malty enough. The Cali lager Oktoberfest averaged a 24 while the Kolsch yeast averaged 32 - different competitions, though. I don't have lagering capabilities this time of year, but if I make a lager recipe I usually reach for the Kolsch yeast over the Cali Lager. Truth be told, I use Cali Lager more for ales. I've made several APAs with it and they have all come out quite nice. I'll also add that the Alt yeast is a good choice for lagers, too.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ View Post
Truth be told, I use Cali Lager more for ales. I've made several APAs with it and they have all come out quite nice. I'll also add that the Alt yeast is a good choice for lagers, too.
I have never thought of using Cali for an ale; but I like that idea! Next brew recipe

Old 05-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

do you get much esters or fruity flavors using it the high 60s?

Old 05-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't brewed with this yeast myself yet, but the homebrews I have had made with it at really warm temps (70+) it produces some mild peppery and spicy phenolics, but is not estery at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

ive been using cream ale blend in my last few cream and blonde ales but will have to give this one a shot also

Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
berley31
Recipes 

I brewed a California Common almost 4 weeks ago, trying to ferment the thing at 62 F with the 2112. I've had a stuck fermentation at 1.026 that I've been trying to unstick (unsuccessfully) for almost 3 weeks. I pitched a packet of dry yeast yesterday, but I'm not hopeful.

Anybody have any similar experiences with the 2112?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
do you get much esters or fruity flavors using it the high 60s?
None, just maltyness.

Quick Reply