Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Calculating Amount to Pitch from Harvested Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
Fantastical
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Calculating Amount to Pitch from Harvested Yeast

How do you figure out the amount of yeast to pitch from yeast that you have harvested.

I know how to use the calculator at Mr Malty but what exactly do I enter and change? How do I know what to set the slider bars to?

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

The default on the sliders is non-rinsed slurry that has settled for a few days.

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 01-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I just pitch 1/2 cup fresh slurry for normal ales. It works as well as a pack of dry yeast.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
ChrisNH
Recipes 

There is a little info on that here:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/repitch.html

It would be nice if the calculator included a box to enter the number of days the yeast has settled in the fridge which could be used by the program to estimate a default thickness.

I had it in the fridge for a month. Is it "4.5" at that point? I don't know.. so I split the difference. I ended up making a 1.5L starter with it and it was so active and produced so much yeast I decided by the seat of my pants I had enough and put it in the fridge for a few days. On brew day I decanted and added another 1L to get it going and pitched that when it was nice an active. How much was in there? Beats me.. wish I knew for sure.. but its been going pretty good though.

Chris

Seacoast New Hampshire
Live Free or Die!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
sco999
Recipes 

I too would like some insight on what to enter in the MrMalty Calculator for washed yeast. I brewed a 12 gallon batch of CDA with an OG of 1.061. I made a 4 quart starter with 85ml of 2 1/2 week old washed 1450 on my stir plate based on MrMalty's default settings for slurry. Now I am worried that I over pitched. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply