Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Butter-Smelling Starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
yournotpeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Butter-Smelling Starter?

I made a 3 liter starter out of a vial of WPL300 (Hefeweizen). I left it on the stir plate for about 48 hours. When I pulled it off and smelled it, it completely reaked like butter. Anyone ever encountered a starter that smelled like butter? This wouldn't be good, I imagine! I understand that diacetyl creates a buttery off-flavor...but in a starter??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Starters often get oxidized or high amounts of diacetyl or other off flavors. The important thing is to keep them clean and uninfected by wild yeast or bacteria. The way to deal with this is to put the starter in the fridge for a day or two before pitching. Then decant off the starter beer, swirl and pitch. This leaves the undesireable starter beer behind.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Starters often get oxidized or high amounts of diacetyl or other off flavors. The important thing is to keep them clean and uninfected by wild yeast or bacteria. The way to deal with this is to put the starter in the fridge for a day or two before pitching. Then decant off the starter beer, swirl and pitch. This leaves the undesireable starter beer behind.
I really don't think I got a wild yeast or bacteria - I'm pretty thorough with my sanitation as I've made numerous starters throughout the years and haven't had any contamination issues with my previous starters.

So, if I'm able to decant off the diacetyl-laden beer, the yeast should still be OK for pitching?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yeah, he's not saying you had an infection or anything. Butter is just a by product of the beer sitting on yeast for too long, So decant the bad beer off and just pitch the yeast.

Update us on how it goes, for my hefeweizens, I like em better without making a starter as I like a yeastier/banana flavor, but some like a crisper cleaner one that a starter might help with.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 09-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post

Update us on how it goes
Will do! Thanks for the help...

Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
garbs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
Butter is just a by product of the beer sitting on yeast for too long
Actually, it's just the opposite. Diacetyl (aka the butter smell/taste) will decrease as the beer sits on the yeast cake.

Quick Reply