Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Building up a starter: Can I spilt 1 smackpack?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
JayInJersey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Building up a starter: Can I spilt 1 smackpack?

Ok here's the goal:
Get a 4l starter for my 11G batch
(BSmith suggests I use a 4l starter for this lager)

Problem:
I have 2 2l flasks but only one Smackpack

My thought:
Take the single Smackpack, split it between the two flasks and build them up next to each other (I have 2 stirplates) instead of build up one...and then start building up the other.

My main concern...is there enough in 1/2 a Smack to build up one? (Granted I'd start it around 1l and work from there instead of trying to build up the whole 2l in one shot)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You got more than enough yeast in a smack pack to split it and make starters. Hell you can add a tablespoon of yeast and build on that. With a stir plate u can produce a lot of yeast very fast.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

You are going to step that thing up like a sonuvagun. 4L of saturated starter is OUTRAGEOUSLY underpitched for a lager of any size. Check out mrmalty.com for the yeast pitching rate calculator. IF you have perfectly viable yeast (produced this week- you don't) AND you're starting with two smack packs (you're not) AND your beer is only 1.040 (is it?) you STILL would need 11L of starter, that's almost 3 gallons, for your 11 gallon batch. You definitely can split up your smack pack, but you are going to have to step it up a BUNCH to get enough yeast to use.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
CGish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a two gallon bucket and lid from Lowes for my third step on big starters. I have done 6.6L starters in these buckets on my DIY stirplate without a problem. All of Encore's white buckets are food grade, according to their FAQ.

According to YeastCalc, a two step starter (Two side by side 2L's for step one and one 6.6L in one of these buckets for step two) would fill your needs on a 1.070 beer, if the yeast is fairly fresh. You would need a third starter step for older yeast.

Good Luck.

Brewing is science, math, chemistry, biochemics, horticulture and culinary arts rolled into one, yet comes out to become a beautiful smooth sensual thing that brings out the idiot in everyone! - kybar

Last edited by CGish; 09-07-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: correction

Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
You are going to step that thing up like a sonuvagun. 4L of saturated starter is OUTRAGEOUSLY underpitched for a lager of any size. Check out mrmalty.com for the yeast pitching rate calculator. IF you have perfectly viable yeast (produced this week- you don't) AND you're starting with two smack packs (you're not) AND your beer is only 1.040 (is it?) you STILL would need 11L of starter, that's almost 3 gallons, for your 11 gallon batch. You definitely can split up your smack pack, but you are going to have to step it up a BUNCH to get enough yeast to use.
That just doesn't sound right. I put this into Beersmith and it came out to about 4l, just like he says. You're suggesting 1.5 gallons of starter for a 5 gallon batch??? That's outrageous.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
bratrules
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGish
I use a two gallon bucket and lid from Lowes for my third step on big starters. I have done 6.6L starters in these buckets on my DIY stirplate without a problem. All of Encore's white buckets are food grade, according to their FAQ.

According to YeastCalc, a two step starter (Two side by side 2.2L's for step one and one 6.6L in one of these buckets for step two) would fill your needs on a 1.070 beer, if the yeast is fairly fresh. You would need a third starter step for older yeast.

Good Luck.
Hey what size stir bar do you use in those buckets? Oh and I didn't realize that the OP was doing a 10 gallon batch.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
CGish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratrules View Post
... what size stir bar do you use in those buckets?
The 1" bar I use in my flasks. I know I should have a longer one for the bucket, but I get a nice whirlpool with the small bar.
Brewing is science, math, chemistry, biochemics, horticulture and culinary arts rolled into one, yet comes out to become a beautiful smooth sensual thing that brings out the idiot in everyone! - kybar

Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
That just doesn't sound right. I put this into Beersmith and it came out to about 4l, just like he says. You're suggesting 1.5 gallons of starter for a 5 gallon batch??? That's outrageous.
Not that outrageous since 4l is just over 1 gallon and with lagers pitching on the higher side is avisable. Just cold crash and decant off most of the liquid from the starter.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
bratrules
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGish

The 1" bar I use in my flasks. I know I should have a longer one for the bucket, but I get a nice whirlpool with the small bar.
Cool am going to have to give that a try!! Thanks for the idea.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
CGish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratrules View Post
Cool am going to have to give that a try!! Thanks for the idea.
Here is a picture of my DIY stir plate, created out of used computer parts. I use the 1.5" blocks for stability with the bucket. The bucket sags a little at the bottom middle when it is full, so I have to put 1/8" shims under the 1.5" blocks so it is high enough not to crush the screen down into the fan - redneck, but it works!
diystirplate.jpg  

Last edited by CGish; 09-07-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: corrections

Quick Reply