Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bugs in fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
homebrewingnoob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bugs in fermenter?

Hi all,

Not quite sure where this post belongs but this topic seemed most fitting at the time. Recently my boyfriend and I have gotten in to home brewing, and have successfully completed a few batches no problem. However, the new place we're living at and the location of where we placed our fermenter may not have been ideal.

Two weeks ago we started a batch of some beer, and today went forward with bottling it. It was fermenting in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy with a three-piece airlock. We used a blow off tube going from the airlock to a bucket filled with sanitizer water. This was all placed on the ground in an outdoor stairwell that gets no light at the apartment building we live in. No issues over the two weeks until today. We siphoned the fermented beer from the carboy to a fermenter bucket to avoid taking the sediment with it, so when siphoning, once we reached the point where it was taking sediment with it from the bottom of the carboy we stopped siphoning. We then bottled our whole batch.

Now to the gross part. When I was cleaning out the carboy that had all of the sediment in it, I poured it out into my kitchen sink which has a strainer. I let this sit to try and strain away as much of the liquid to get rid of the sediment for about 15 minutes. When I came back, I saw about 4-5 dead cockroaches and other misc. floating body parts within the sediment. I've never seen roaches in our apartment, so I can only assume that they must have come from the carboy. I'm assuming that the blow-off tube may not have been submerged completely, allowing for these gross pests to enter the tube, and subsequently drown in our fermenter.

Now that we've got all these beer bottled, is it a waste? I've seen a few other posts of people finding bugs, never roaches though, within their fermented beer and all say there should be no issue with this. However, I'm assuming they entered after all our boiling processes were done, and there was quite a few of them..

What do we do? Would you guys still drink the beer? Or call this a lesson learned?

I understand that not having the blow-off tube completely submerged is stupid, but when we let it sit for those two-weeks it was. We have another batch working now, that I'm not putting in the same place, where the fermenter is off the ground, and anything open to air is now saran wrapped or covered with cheese cloth.

Help?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

Christmas 6 packs for all your friends and family...

Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Ladd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am not very sure on the safety end of things, but I would personally dump it...

Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Well, the big chunks would not have made it through your racking cane and bottling tube. I'll assume the alcohol will kill any lingering bacteria. I think it will be fine, but you will probably have a hard time getting over the mental picture of the roaches in your strainer. Drink one. If there are off flavors, then dump it (Christmas 6 packs for all your friends and family).

I had a thermometer break in my wort, it left "lead" pellets in my beer. I still bottled it.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Dump. Definitely dump.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I am not a fan of just dumping beer but I could not deal with cockroaches being in my beer.I think this is a batch that Revvy may even dump.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I've just added a fourth thing to my reasons for dumping.

1) Poison
2) Broken glass
3) Bird poop
4) Cockroaches.

You'll never be able to enjoy this beer if you keep it. Chalk it up to a learning experience and brew another batch. Sorry for your loss.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
bioguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
I had a thermometer break in my wort, it left "lead" pellets in my beer. I still bottled it.
Was it a mercury thermometer? Or do you mean the pellets that are added to weight a floating one?

Either way, that's probably a bigger health worry than a few cockroaches. I might do cockroaches, but I'd never do mercury or lead. I am pretty sure that alcohol increases the absorption of both of these heavy metals.

I forgot to add - there was also broken glass right?

Not to be rude, but you're kidding right?

Last edited by bioguy; 11-18-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Forgot the broken glass issue.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Creepersale
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm
i've just added a fourth thing to my reasons for dumping.

1) poison
2) broken glass
3) bird poop
4) cockroaches.

You'll never be able to enjoy this beer if you keep it. Chalk it up to a learning experience and brew another batch. Sorry for your loss.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Personally, I wouldn't even think about trying one. I'd have to dump it and chalk it up to experience. That's pretty gross and until TSHTF I ain't drinking Roach Brew.

Oh, sorry this happened to you guys also.

Rick

Quick Reply