New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Buddy allergic to brewer's yeast!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
ChefJoeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Buddy allergic to brewer's yeast!!

OK, it really sucks, being that he is my long time drinking buddy and I was looking forward to brewing a couple of fantastic beers for his wedding. Is there a way to brew without it? Are there any beers that he might be able to have? What about ciders or Lambics? Wedding is in October so I need to get experimenting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
GuldTuborg

Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Allergic to yeast? Can't say I've heard of it, but I guess it's possible. I have to ask the obvious, though...has an allergist tested your friend for this? Does it have to be alive, or might dead yeast affect him, too? The only beverages I'm aware of that are absolutely, 100% free of yeast are spirits (or drinks made alcoholic by spirit additions). If dead yeast are OK, anything that has been pasteurized should be fine.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is it a complete yeast allergy?

Chances are it's going to have to be something that's filtered and pasturized to kill the yeast, and that only if the allergy level is low. It's in any of the beverages that I can think of except for some sodas. Even kombucha and kefir has yeast involved.

More than likely it'll be the hard liquor route.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Is it only brewer's yeast, or any yeast? I have had some success with Bread Yeast, both for Mead as well as Beer. Just make sure it is something English or similar that the yeast character isn't as important.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I doubt this, he probably doesn't like your beer and is trying to be polite. If he eats bread, he doesn't have a yeast allergy.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
dantheman13

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Google says that yeast allergies are characterized by getting sleepy after eating it. There is also celiac disease, which is an allergy to gluten. This gives the symptoms of abdominal pain when consuming gluten. Basic Brewing had a recent podcast about gluten free brewing, but no clue how to make beer without yeast!

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 AM   #7
GuldTuborg

Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
I have had some success with Bread Yeast, both for Mead as well as Beer.
Same species. Bread yeast, beer yeast, wine yeast, it's all brewer's yeast. Some strains just perform a little better in different solutions.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman13 View Post
Google says that yeast allergies are characterized by getting sleepy after eating it. There is also celiac disease, which is an allergy to gluten. This gives the symptoms of abdominal pain when consuming gluten. Basic Brewing had a recent podcast about gluten free brewing, but no clue how to make beer without yeast!
Good info! If it is yeast allergy in general, then you can not make beer, long story short.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
ChefJoeR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

talked with him more and this was a test done by an independant company that finds food items that your body doesn't agree with. Going further into it, these are items that his body shouldn't have, or at least need to be regulated, in order for him to be at full health. Some other items that are on the list are blueberries and mustard. So I don't really view this as an allergy, but more of some guideline that allows to live a healthy lifestyle. What typically is the definition of "brewer's yeast"? Being that yeast is a living bacteria that is found all around us and can innoculate any sugary liquid that then can produce CO2 and alcohol, how is one supposed to ensure they don't ingest it. He is getting me more information about this. I hope this isn't some "new age" health craze, cause then I am going to hit him!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If he is avoiding brewers yeast, he is no avoiding bread, and just about anything of substance.

MY mom went to one of these crackpots(it was a chiropractor, but don't get me started there. Crack my back and leave me alone). She ended up spending thousands of dollars and noticed no change in quality of life. When I got word of what she was doing I had to sit down with her and explain this is just a crap way to take your money.

Sure, you might feel better if you don't eat any sugar, avoid gluten, less red meat and more water.... but that is just good diet advice. Not some cure to an imaginary disease.

Quick Reply