Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Broken A/C and high temp conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
PantherCity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Broken A/C and high temp conditioning

So my A/C broke on Friday and the temp in my house climbed to 85 on Sunday before it was fixed. The temp was back down to 70 by Sunday night but I'm a little concerned about the 4 batches I have in progress at various stages.

My normal fermentation regime is to ferment in a small wine fridge with a ranco controller for the first week, or longer if I don't brew another batch the following weekend. Then I pull the fermenter out and it goes in a small hall closet to condition at 70 until I keg it up. I had 4 batched in the "room temp conditioning phase" all fully fermented but still on primary yeast cake that were exposed to this heat wave.

Beers that were exposed to heat wave:
5 gallons of 2 month old Belgian Dubble - WLP530
5 gallons of 5 week old Janet's brown - WLP007
5 gallons of 4 week old red - WPL007
12 gallons of 3 week old bitter - WLP007

all of these have fermented out.
should I worry about yeast byproducts?

I think I should be OK because the yeast are inactive and temperature related byproducts are more of a concern during active fermentations when the yeast are metabolizing sugars.

P.s.
I also brewed a Black-strap molasses black ale this weekend but it went straight into the temp-controlled fridge.

Thanks for any advise in advance,
Chase

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
prrriiide
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd just bottle 'em. If they taste funky after conditioning, sit on them for a couple of months and try again. Rinse-repeat. It's amazing what bottle-aging can do for funky beers.

I did a porter kit my second batch. After I had it in the fermentor I realized that I left out the chocolate malt. So, I ran it in 4 passes through my coffee maker (a quart at a time to make an additional gallon). After cooling, I dumped it in the bucket and gave it a gentle swirl to mix it in.

After conditioning for a month, it still tasted really green. Another month - still funky. 3rd month, drinkable - just. After 4 months in the bottles, it was a really good porter, my wife says it's still her favorite - the coffee-pot porter.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
PantherCity
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't bottle, I keg everything, but thank you for your response. I was more concerned with yeast derived off flavors due to the temperature spike. most of these beers will have a while before i keg them as my pipeline is full. I know that Diacetyl is uselly formed early so I'm not too concerned with that as much as ester production and accelerated autolysis from the temp spike. Should I extend the conditioning to allow the yeast to clean up?

Quick Reply