Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Broke my hydrometer. Can I transfer to secondary without a reading?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
de5m0mike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Broke my hydrometer. Can I transfer to secondary without a reading?

Quick history. This is only my 4th batch of beer. I just started hanging around on HBT.com, and I think from what I've gathered by reading old threads that I had always transfered to secondary too soon. Usually only after 5-7 days. So with this batch I wanted to try and do right, be patient, and let it sit until it was really ready. Unfortunately, I just broke my hydrometer and now I have no way of knowing, other than looking at the bubbles in the airlock weather or not it's ready to transfer. The beer is an all centennial IPA that is on Day 13 in the primary (it has been between 62º and 64º this whole time). Oh, and I accidently poured most of the trub/hot break, or what ever you call it, into the primary so I don't know if that is effecting it or not but I'm still getting a bubble every 40 to 50 seconds. Should I transfer to secondary yet or let it sit longer? I've got a lot of crap going on right now and I probably can't get over to the other side of town to buy another hydrometer for at least a few more days, maybe longer.

Don't know if it matters or not but here is the recipe I used.

7lb DME (Pilsen Light)
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (10L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Pellets (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Pellets (30 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Pellets (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Pellets (1 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Leaf Hops (Dry Hop 7 days)
Yeast: Safale 05 (Recommended fermentation temperature: 59-75F).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 AM   #2
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the krausen has dropped go for it. Just buy a new hydrometer before you bottle/keg.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Or you can do what a vast majority of brewers are doing and not secondarying...leave it in primary for a month then bottle. And you won;t need to thake a hydro reading. Just let the yeast finishe the job AND clean up after itself, like it is wont to do if we don't interfere and rack it away.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness, led mostly by us on here, and now picked up by the mainstream of brewing....

You can read about it here for a start.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/sec...-weigh-176837/

Your beer will thank for for it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Listen to Grand Master Revvy and let it sit!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
Listen to Grand Master Revvy and let it sit!
yes the force is strong in that one

Old 05-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
de5m0mike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Or you can do what a vast majority of brewers are doing and not secondarying...leave it in primary for a month then bottle. And you won;t need to thake a hydro reading. Just let the yeast finishe the job AND clean up after itself, like it is wont to do if we don't interfere and rack it away.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness, led mostly by us on here, and now picked up by the mainstream of brewing....

You can read about it here for a start.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/sec...-weigh-176837/

Your beer will thank for for it.
I could do that but I was thinking that because I didn't separate it from the trub after the boil (just poured it all in the primary) that it could probably use the secondary stage for clearing. Plus I'd rather get it out of the ale pale and into the glass carboy. I think if I was going to skip secondary I'd go straight into the carboy and skip the ale pale. Maybe next time.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
de5m0mike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Oh, and I just started reading that link and the first thing it says it that you don't need secondary unless you are planning to add fruit or dry hop. I'd like to dry hop this batch so that sounds like another good reason to go to secondary.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5m0mike View Post
I could do that but I was thinking that because I didn't separate it from the trub after the boil (just poured it all in the primary) that it could probably use the secondary stage for clearing. Plus I'd rather get it out of the ale pale and into the glass carboy. I think if I was going to skip secondary I'd go straight into the carboy and skip the ale pale. Maybe next time.
I usually "don't seperate the trub from the boil" and have never had a problem with leaving them in for a month. They're perfectly clear.

Go read my post #26 in the thread I linked, the one where I mention that's not complicated, and you don't need to do anything special to do it, that with time the trub compresses really tight as the beer clears......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 2053

I usually leave the beer in primary for at least two weeks before moving to secondary. IMHO, a hydrometer reading at that point is interesting but not necessary.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 05-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

take a taste and see where your sugars are at. if nothing else, listen to revvy. i doubt anyone in the history of homebrewing has ever said "man i should have ignored that guy" when it comes to his advice.

Quick Reply