Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > British Yeasts, Fermentation Temps and Profiles, CYBI, Other Thoughts...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #531
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It definitely gets fruity when fermented in the 70's but I wouldn't think it would produce much fusels since your starting temp was low. I once made a (OG. 1.034) boddies clone that I accidentally fermented around 72-75F. This is when my fermentation chest died and I didn't realize it until after it had been in there for a week... the beer turned out "ok" although it did have somewhat of a fruit salad ester thing going on.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #532
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
... the beer turned out "ok" although it did have somewhat of a fruit salad ester thing going on.
This. Thank you for the flavour descriptor. The beer is good cold but when it warms up it's a fruit bomb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:33 AM   #533
AT-JeffT
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've had many batches suffer BADLY from the cidery apple off flavor of WLP002 bottle conditioned with dextrose.

I'm working my way through all 50+ pages of this thread, but can some one give me cliff notes on the issue? Have we found a way to accurately bottle condition this beer without the off flavor(s)?

Old 12-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #534
gbx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-JeffT View Post
I've had many batches suffer BADLY from the cidery apple off flavor of WLP002 bottle conditioned with dextrose.

I'm working my way through all 50+ pages of this thread, but can some one give me cliff notes on the issue? Have we found a way to accurately bottle condition this beer without the off flavor(s)?
This is a great thread. I think it was decided force carbing was the way to go with 002/1968 and 1318 was a better english yeast to use for bottle conditioning

Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #535
AT-JeffT
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Has anyone experimented with using a lower attenuating yeast to bottle carbonate with? Windsor comes to mind. I know its flavor profile is poor, but if used just for carbonating it shouldn't be an issue. I am worried about over carbonating with s-05 due to its ability to attenuate further than 002/1968.

On a related note, it's pretty well known that Firestone Walker uses 002/1968. They bottle condition some of their beers. I wonder if they filter and add a separate strain for bottle conditioning. If they did, it would have to be one that is about the same in attenuation as 002/1968. Has anyone contacted them about how they bottle condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post
This is a great thread. I think it was decided force carbing was the way to go with 002/1968 and 1318 was a better english yeast to use for bottle conditioning
Yes, this is the most informative thread I've found on HBT. Its a shame I took so long to find it.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #536
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:

The only consistence was to force carb with this yeast. The 1318 yeast is great for bottle carbing. You could try to bottle condition with wort instead of sugar if you really want to use 002.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #537
Riot
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts

Has anyone tried priming with extract? I've got a starter ready to go grown from this years Fullers vintage ale, and at least two batches planned for it. I don't have a keg setup and I really don't want to put off brewing tomorrow to use something else.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #538
gbx
Recipes 

Quote:
Has anyone experimented with using a lower attenuating yeast to bottle carbonate with? Windsor comes to mind. I know its flavor profile is poor, but if used just for carbonating it shouldn't be an issue. I am worried about over carbonating with s-05 due to its ability to attenuate further than 002/1968.
I would bottle condition with 002/1968 over Windsor any day. The worst thing about Windsor is its completely non-flocculent and the actual yeast tastes musty and awful. If you put a beer made with windsor in a keg with gelatin and lager it until it is clear, the beer is actually not too bad. I like much better than S04. ...but bottle conditioning is terrible because the sediment is so loose its impossible to pour clean.

In regards to commercial bottle conditioning with 002/1968, I believe they do it without primings but by cold crashing a few points above terminal gravity.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #539
Blueflint
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This thread is going on close to 3 years and it had a tremendous amount of information. There is only brief mention of WLP037 Yorkshire Square in this thread. What is everyone's opinion of this one? I have only used it once and it was a strong fermenter with a big top cropper but I don't remember much else about it.

Tony

Primary or Secondary: Mild, Robust Porter

Upcoming: Robust Porter, Oatmeal Stout, English Bitter, Vienna Lager, Cream Ale, Mild

Old 12-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #540
CadiBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I brewed an ordinary bitter with the intention of following kingbrian's schedule of pitching at 64, letting it free rise to 68, then dialing back to 64 when the beer is at 1/2 of the final gravity. I was then going to crash to 40 when the beer has reached 1/5 of the final gravity.

I pitched a lot of healthy yeast and aerated well, so I had an explosive ferment and things are happening too quickly. Within 4 hours, it rose to 68. Within 24 hours, the gravity was at 1.020. I kicked it back down to 64. 48 hours later, it is at 1.014. The schedule tells me I should cold crash. I'm afraid to cold crash after only 72 hours from pitching. My plan is to let it sit at 64 for at least another 3 days, and then child crash for a week.

Has anyone else had issues like this? Should I just go ahead and cold crash now? The sample tasted pretty great with no discernable off flavors, other than being green. My palate for diacetyl is terrible, but I'm not tasting any butter or getting a slimy mouth feel.

Quick Reply