Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > British Yeasts, Fermentation Temps and Profiles, CYBI, Other Thoughts...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #511
gbx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post
To be clear, I'm wondering about repitching the wy1968 from the 1.064 beer into a 1.035 bitter. I'm hoping it ferments out ok and hasn't changed too much. In a low grav beer, it will suck if it decides to ferment out super clean to 85%. I normally would buy a new pack of yeast but i won't get a chance to go to the LHBS before brewing so its either re-use the 1968 or break into the nottingham, s-04 or us-05 packs I have in the fridge for emergencies.

...the 1.064 beer is a golden promise/EKG smash(english ipa?) with 6oz of 6.5%AA EKG split between FW, 45, 30, 15 and 2oz at 0. It fermented down to 1.012 in 4 days at 65F ambient temp. I kegged it last night and its nice...really malty, the 7% alcohol is barely perceivable, there is a good amount of bitterness but the hops aren't nearly as prominent as I would have thought. ...and I collected 2 mason jars full of clean yeast for the weekend if i decide to go that way.
I brewed a 1.037 mild with the yeast from the 1.064 SMaSH (harvested from the bottom of a primary only ferment) It turned out really nice but...it definitely isn't the same wy1968 it was a couple pitches ago. It didn't floc out nearly as well and not near as malty. It is still malty but not the same...its almost like Danstar Windsor in terms of malt profile and flocculation - when i first kegged it there were dusty bits of yeast in the head and it had a musty yeast taste I get from Windsor fermented beers rather than the bready yeast taste i get from wy1968 when try hydrometer samples. Its been in the keg fridge for 4 days now and its clearing nicely but not crystal clear right out of the carboy that I get from fresh pitches of 1968.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #512
poley
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Are you washing the yeast, or just pitching on the cake? You might be unintentionally selecting for lower flocculating yeast, and/or overpitching. I don't have all the details of your process, just asking questions, so if you're doing neither, someone else might have some ideas with that strain.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #513
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poley View Post
Are you washing the yeast, or just pitching on the cake? You might be unintentionally selecting for lower flocculating yeast, and/or overpitching. I don't have all the details of your process, just asking questions, so if you're doing neither, someone else might have some ideas with that strain.
I did a primary only ferment in a carboy. I kegged on day 10, sanitized the mouth of the carboy, swished the last bit of beer around to stir up the cake and then poured it into mason jars. I put the mason jars in the fridge until the yeast cake had settled again, poured the beer off and replaced with boiled and chilled water and swirled it all up again. 4 days later when I brewed, I took the jars out of the fridge, dumped the water off, replaced with a bit more pre-boiled water, swirled around to break up the cake and dumped it in the fermenter. I used the pitching rate calc to approximate how much I needed.

In the past, I've tried to top crop 1968 but haven't had much luck with it. It doesn't leave the big floaty krausen something like 1318 does. 1968 is a strain that seems to mutate very fast and I think the >6.5% ABV beer would have had a greater impact on the repitch than the process. Any thoughts? Maybe its a multistrain? I wonder if you had a conical if you could harvest the early flocc'ers and get it back to the way it was. ...I have since retired that pitch and bought a fresh smack pack for my last brew.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #514
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok guys. I've read through most of the thread and skimmed the rest. Here is my situation. I am currently fermenting a Northern English Brown using WLP007. It was recommended by the staff at NB-Milwaukee. I'm going for a traditional northern brown, with a hint of esters, but mainly malty nuttiness. I brewed Friday night. Chilled to 65. Oxygenated with pure O2 for 90 seconds. Pitched a 2L starter. Placed bucket in my chilly brew room with a comforter wrapped around it. The next day it was hanging around 64.5 and active so I opened the cover for an open fermentation. Krausen was small, but I skimmed what I could and carefully stirred in the yeast.... Man is that stuff chunky. By Sunday morning the temp was up to 68 and the brew was rolling, but the krausen was all but gone, so I put the cover & airlock back on. Monday temp was down to 63. (My brew room sits at 58-60 in the winter.) Since my swamp cooler and fish tank heater are currently occupied with a Hefe, I went to the store and got another heater to fashion a second swamp cooler. My issue is this.... When I put the fermenter in the swamp I did a gravity reading and it was at 1.016 or 1.018... I can't remember which, but the sample was ridiculously fruity. A taste that I know most in this thread are striving for, but I am looking for barely noticeable and in style for a northern brown. Diacetyl was minimal to none. I turned the heater on to about 68, and will check to see where my brew lies at lunchtime. What is my best plan of action? I keg, can crash cool in my keezer and can filter if I need to. This is going to a contest and my entry needs to be in the bottle & ready by feb 2nd for a feb 13-16 judging. The malt profile in my sample was great, and the hopping was right on, but the esters were overwhelming. I know it is super young, and I expect it to finish in the next few days dropping 2-8 more points. I mashed at 155 at 1.4 qt/lb and by 1/2 hour temp dipped to 152. I infused 2 L of boiling water to bring temp up to 156-157 and at the end of my hour temp was at 154. OG for 5.6 gal batch was at 1.049. I'm not sure what to expect for attenuation with my mash profile... But I'm guessing a FG of 1.013 or 1.014. Suggestions or experiences with 007 would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #515
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I never used 007 before but it seems like you did a number of things to limit ester production. It's still young so maybe just time? I think with NEB you can be a bit short on carbonation if you need to bottle before the end of the week or next to mellow those esters out. I assume you are bottle conditioning and not bottling from a keg. Good luck at Midwinter, I'm still debating my stout - haven't tried it yet!

On Deck: English Bitter, RIS

Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #516
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet
I never used 007 before but it seems like you did a number of things to limit ester production. It's still young so maybe just time? I think with NEB you can be a bit short on carbonation if you need to bottle before the end of the week or next to mellow those esters out. I assume you are bottle conditioning and not bottling from a keg. Good luck at Midwinter, I'm still debating my stout - haven't tried it yet!
I was planning on bottling from keg, the last few times I bottled a few and kegged the rest I got those gushers. I think my coopers carb drops may be a source of contamination. If I can keg by the 27th I can get it carbed up in time to bottle a few on the 1st and drop off for midwinter on the 2nd. Should I just let it ride on the warm yeast for a few days then crash & keg? I did try for a clean ferment profile... Except for my open fermentation time. I want clean & complex.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #517
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

You've got nothing to lose as the beer is only 4-5 days old.

On Deck: English Bitter, RIS

Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #518
chrisdb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

subscribe

Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #519
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I should have listened to bierhaus15 back in post #2 re: wy1968 and bottling, but I guess some lessons have to be learned the hard way. I made Common Room ESB with 1968 a couple months ago and when I bottled it tasted fantastic. Like, one-of-the-best-beers-I've-ever-brewed fantastic. After conditioning for ~3 weeks the beer had lost some of it's malt character and it had a very slight cider taste (which has started to mellow after a couple more weeks).

Anyway, I'm not set up to keg so can someone recommend a strain I should try in place of wy1968? I've seen positive comments about wy1318 so I'm leaning toward that at the moment. My plan is to use it mostly in English and American pale ales. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #520
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Has anyone experienced the above issue naturally carbing a keg with 1968?

Quick Reply