Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Brewer's Yeast as nutrition for starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
justflow1983
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Brewer's Yeast as nutrition for starter?

In reading over the section on yeast nutrition in How to Brew I came across Palmer's recommendation that one add nutrients to the starter wort. Its my first time using a liquid yeast and I didn't pick any nutrients up (LHBS is a 2 hr drive) but in his list of nutrients he lists yeast hulls as one of the standard types of nutrients:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Nutrients

I was wondering if brewer's yeast from the health food shop (dead Saccharomyces cerevisiae) would be basically the same thing? I was considering getting some since theres a health shop on the street that I work on, and throwing it in with the wort boil to make sure its sanitized and dead.

I'm a noob, this is brew #4, so all opinions welcome...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Yes, berwer's yeast added to the boil is the same as "yeast hulls"

You can really do it with any yeast, even old bread yeast, or those unlabled metallic packets of yeast under some extract cans...even just any beer yeast dropped into the boil. I have a jar of bread machine that was improperly stored improperly stored and mostly dead. I use that in the boil as a nutrient all the time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yes, berwer's yeast added to the boil is the same as "yeast hulls"

You can really do it with any yeast, even old bread yeast, or those unlabled metallic packets of yeast under some extract cans...even just any beer yeast dropped into the boil. I have a jar of bread machine that was improperly stored improperly stored and mostly dead. I use that in the boil as a nutrient all the time.
Have you ever done side by side tests to be sure it's doing something?

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Have you ever done side by side tests to be sure it's doing something?
No, it's just somethig I started using. I've only done a couple of batches where I have added it to the boil.

Though I DID manage to bring my saison down from 1.018 to iirc 1.009 by dropping a tbs or so of hulls in some boiling water and adding that to the primary. I wasn't sure it would work, but I had read that treatise on using yeast hulls in stuck fermentations in wine and thought what the heck.

Then after going back and reading about yeast hulls in palmer and other places, I've been adding it to the last 15 minutes of the boil.

No comparasons yet though.

I know you do a lot of high grav brewing, have you used them?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Yeah, and truthfully I didn't think they did anything. I've started using Wyeast yeast nutrient in the kettle lately and that has made a big difference for me.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Per Revvy's suggestion in a thread a while back, I have started to use brewer's yeast (yeast hulls) along with some yeast nutrient/energizer in all of my starters and brews, I can't comment on whether or not there is a noticable fermentation difference, since every fermentation has gotten better with experience, but the way I see it, it can't hurt, and a big a$$ canister of brewer's yeast can be purchased for a few dollars, and will definitely last for a real long time.

FWIW, the yeast nutrient/energizer though did make a difference on its own before I began using the brewer's yeast.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply