I've got a beer that's been in a primary for 7 days and fermentation is, for the most part, complete. But I like to leave my beers on the yeast cake for 2 weeks to allow the yeasties to clean up after they're done.
My dilemma: Im planning to brew today, but need that primary.
My plan was to siphon the beer in the primary over to an empty 5 gallon carboy, then with about a half gallon remaining above the yeast cake, swirl the remaining beer and yeast so it turns into a slurry then pour as much of that yeast into the carboy as I can.
My question to the experts.... is it even worth the contamination risk to let it sit on the yeast for another week? If its worth the risk and I do as planned, the yeast won't go into another feeding frenzy will they? My gravity is at 1.008 and that's my calculated target, just don't want to drop too much lower. Any other unforeseen reactions that may occur if I do this?
Any help is appreciated. I'm putting my brew day on hold until I can confidently make a decision. Thanks!