The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Brew House Primary Time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler

No biggie! Like I said if you rack to secondary to early you won't necessarily do any damage, but you'll have a lot more yeast settle out then you should.
Sorry, have to disagree. The secondary vessel is also called a bright tank and there should be no further fermentation occurring.

Fermentation should completed on the yeast, in the primary. You should not rack beer to a secondary until FG has been confirmed.

By removing the beer from the yeast early you risk stuck fermentation or the inability of the yeast to complete those last few points and clean up after themselves.

Yes there is still some yeast in suspension but they are the least healthy, vigorous, slowest flocculating of the cells. In all it's just not good practice to rack before FG regardless of any other concerns you may have.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

the primary vs secondary debate is kind of pointless. does the secondary have benefits? Absolutely. Are the Necessary? no. Youll have to make up your own mind. Me, I secondary every brew I make until I'm happy with the flavor and I make a solid product every time. Secondary or not find a system that works for you. It will take trial and error.

As for your beer it will be fine. Let it sit in the secondary /w airlock and dont touch it for a couple weeks. After that take an fg reading once a day for Three Days. If your readings are the same each day fermentation is complete, feel free to do another secondary or just bottle. This is how you would normally determine that primary is finished. yeast is suspension is plenty health and will finish out your beer. it will however take longer because you are now at a much lower cell count. Oh and dont be afraid to sample your product. it will taste green but you can get a good idea of how it will turn out.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't care whether or not secondary is good or bad. Just worried I did it too soon and that this will effect my FG.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

To go back to the OP's unspoken question: The reason why the instructions suggest going into secondary quicker than you are used to is that if you rack to secondary a few points above terminal gravity, you are less likely to oxidize the beer as the CO2 given off by remaining fermenation will blow off the air in the carboy's headspace.

Very few people I know actually purge their carboy with CO2 before racking, so this is a "homebrewer's solution" to the problem of oxidation. As to it stalling yeast out? Not in my experience. Often I get a renewed air-lock activity after the agitation of racking and it's pretty common for me to pick up those last few SG points I'm looking for in secondary. But you should be aware that, as duboman points out, there is now less yeast. So if they get thermally shocked or something, it may become more difficult to perk them back up. That is why it is why I find it prudent to maintain or slightly raise temperature in secondary for a few days (like you would a lager) before doing any cold-conditioning.

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tims-C...9089362?ref=hl

Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings View Post
. . . its an IPA and starting gravity was 1.052.
IPA? I'd be calling that a Pale Ale.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #16
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings
I don't care whether or not secondary is good or bad. Just worried I did it too soon and that this will effect my FG.
This. no danger in krausen, my friend.

And I would guess yes, your FG will remain higher than you want. Ideally, an IPA should be below 1.016 and I like them 1.010-12, but that's just personal.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Could I pitch new yeast or just leave her be. I purposely sucked up a little cake from the bottom when I racked. Would that have enough hungry yeasties to keep it goin?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings
Could I pitch new yeast or just leave her be. I purposely sucked up a little cake from the bottom when I racked. Would that have enough hungry yeasties to keep it goin?
I'd leave it for another week. Check the FG a couple days and see if it changes. If it doesn't, bottle it. I think you'll have plenty of yeast in there for it to finish up, just give it some time and I think you'll hit or expected FG. If not, you can pitch another packet of yeast to finish it off, but don't do it unless you need to.

I did probably 20 batches of brewhouse kits, there hard to mess up IMO. The only batch I had problems with was when I tried to ferment it too warm, thinking I'd speed up fermentation. It did ferment quick, but it tasted like dish soap. That's when I decided to start focusing my reading to fermentation.

Welcome to the hobby, it's very, VERY addicting. I've been brewing for close to two years, and I still find myself on these forums every spare minute.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #19
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ha It is addicting. Alright ima just KCCO for a few weeks. Hopefully she comes down a few. Be happy with 5% so I'm close anyways.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Seems to have settled at 1.014. Good enough for me. Got the go ahead from the old lady to buy AG gear, 1 month from now (backorder on 50L pot) I'll be making an IPA that deserves the name. Yeehaa

Quick Reply