Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Brew House Primary Time

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
idrinkstuffnthings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: , BC Canada
Posts: 135
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Brew House Primary Time

Hello all, first time poster long time reader.

I just put together a Brew House kit this morning. Now usually I do all my fermentation in a primary, 2-4 weeks depending on patience etc. This kit instructs you to rack to secondary after 3-5 days, then leave for a few weeks. My question is that if it hasn't reached FG, and I rack it, will that stop fermentation or give a higher FG? I dont mind going to secondary if thats what they want, but 3-5 days seems like a pretty short time to rack.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

__________________
idrinkstuffnthings is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,119
Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings
Hello all, first time poster long time reader.

I just put together a Brew House kit this morning. Now usually I do all my fermentation in a primary, 2-4 weeks depending on patience etc. This kit instructs you to rack to secondary after 3-5 days, then leave for a few weeks. My question is that if it hasn't reached FG, and I rack it, will that stop fermentation or give a higher FG? I dont mind going to secondary if thats what they want, but 3-5 days seems like a pretty short time to rack.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
My first question would be" what's different about Brew House kits that requires a secondary? Without a compelling reason, I would recommend you stick to your SOP.
__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.
Piratwolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
forstmeister's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,198
Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Depending on the yeast it could be done in 3-5 days. US-05 ferments quickly, usually in that time range for me.

Secondary is more accurately known as "conditioning." You're letting the yeast drop out of suspension as well as any hops floating around. I almost always do at least one week in secondary so that the final product is a little cleaner.

__________________

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

forstmeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,119
Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister
Depending on the yeast it could be done in 3-5 days. US-05 ferments quickly, usually in that time range for me.

Secondary is more accurately known as "conditioning." You're letting the yeast drop out of suspension as well as any hops floating around. I almost always do at least one week in secondary so that the final product is a little cleaner.
Sure. The secondary or not debate is old hat, and I've no interest in it. It's just that the OP says his SOP is primary only, 2-4 weeks... So I'd say stick with that unless there's something very different about these particular brews.
__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.
Piratwolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
idrinkstuffnthings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: , BC Canada
Posts: 135
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Ya im not into the secondary debate, read enough of those for a lifetime. I think I'll keep her in primary. Never had a bad batch yet doing it that way.

Thanks all

__________________
idrinkstuffnthings is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
idrinkstuffnthings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: , BC Canada
Posts: 135
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Update: within 10 hours BIG action. They suggest a 10 gallon primary and now I know why. Lid, sides, airlock all coated with krausen. Looks like its goin into secondary. Just don't like the look of all the krausen dangling over my tasty beer.

__________________
idrinkstuffnthings is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 710
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings
Update: within 10 hours BIG action. They suggest a 10 gallon primary and now I know why. Lid, sides, airlock all coated with krausen. Looks like its goin into secondary. Just don't like the look of all the krausen dangling over my tasty beer.
I did a lot of the brew house kits first when I started out. They are about the best you can make without going extract or AG. I really like the red ale. I usually leave it in primary for 8-10 before touching it. Take a gravity reading and rack to secondary.
Going to secondary too early won't stop fermentation or cause any problems. Secondary is only used as a clearing vessel, or for long term aging. If you rack too early (during fermentation) you'll get a lot more yeast and trub in the secondary, making it pointless. IMO if you really want to use secondary you should leave it in primary until it starts to get clear, then rack to secondary. First when I made these kits I didn't even take readings. Id leave it in primary until it starts to clear, then rack to secondary for 3 weeks.

If you want to get a little better quality with these kits, I'd suggest using a liquid yeast to match the style, and you can dry hop to play around with things. Have fun!
__________________
Antler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
idrinkstuffnthings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: , BC Canada
Posts: 135
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Well ****. Read the calendar wrong. Had a SG of 1.020 for 12 hours. Racked to secondary. It had only been goin for 3 1/2 days. Hopefully she gets a lower FG as its an IPA and starting gravity was 1.052. Most all signs of fermentation were over but I was hoping for a little higher ABV.

__________________
idrinkstuffnthings is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 710
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings
Well ****. Read the calendar wrong. Had a SG of 1.020 for 12 hours. Racked to secondary. It had only been goin for 3 1/2 days. Hopefully she gets a lower FG as its an IPA and starting gravity was 1.052. Most all signs of fermentation were over but I was hoping for a little higher ABV.
No biggie! Like I said if you rack to secondary to early you won't necessarily do any damage, but you'll have a lot more yeast settle out then you should.
__________________
Antler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
idrinkstuffnthings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: , BC Canada
Posts: 135
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Well good enough then. Does that seem a little high for IPA FG? Only be about 4.5% at that. And I only did bout 21 litres too.

__________________
idrinkstuffnthings is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIAB, last time in the house for me jflongo BIAB Brewing 11 01-17-2013 05:21 AM
bought a house...time to bottle? deputyandy Lambic & Wild Brewing 4 03-23-2012 07:47 PM
Itís going to be a jolly time at my house this year! ThatGuyRyan General Chit Chat 1 12-20-2011 04:57 PM
First time brew- Primary to Secondary Question HBT0701 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 04-17-2011 04:03 PM
Primary and Seconday time for this brew?? Korben General Techniques 9 12-13-2008 11:17 PM