Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Brew Cube Reviews?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
LazySumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Brew Cube Reviews?

Austin HB is selling a 'Brew Cube', for less than $50. Anyone used one? Would be nice to ferment 10g all at one go. I don't think I'm too worried about scratches b/c I can simply be super careful with the interiors.

Thoughts?

"Where the profits go (unless it is for some baby-punching fight club or something) are irrelevant to me." - Reverendj1
www.lee-allison.com for beer, whiskey and wine reviews.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

you don't need to worry about scratches if you practice proper sanitation.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I've seen people use it for grain storage. I'm sure you could ferment in it. It's the standard vittles vault, which is less with free shipping off amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002DJOOI

Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Leithoa
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
you don't need to worry about scratches if you practice proper sanitation.
The dominant theory is that scratches make proper sanitation nearly impossible to guarantee. Obviously a light scuff is less likely to hide an infection than a deep gouge. The thinking goes that the scratches prevent the sanitizer from reaching all of the bacteria and over a 3 week fermentation you get enough beasties to ruin the flavor of the beer.
If you're practicing the no-chill method often associated with 'cubes it might not be as much of an issue, but still something to be aware of. I also have no experience with no-chill so don't blame me if your brew gets infected.

1°: Graham's English Cider, Cider; 2°: Mango Melomel; Conditioning: Banana wine, Cider, Orange/Clover blossom mead, Cyser, JAOM, In like a Lion RIS ; Drinking: In like a Lion RIS

Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
LazySumo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Pelipen - Vittle Vault? No ****? Sweet, should be cheaper and easier to source that way.

Eastoak - The scratches would/might come from aggressive cleaning.

Leithoa - Looking at this b/c they look like they would be a better use of space in a fermentation fridge. So no chill is a no-no in my book.

"Where the profits go (unless it is for some baby-punching fight club or something) are irrelevant to me." - Reverendj1
www.lee-allison.com for beer, whiskey and wine reviews.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I find that the 15 gallon food grade blue plastic barrels do a fine job if you want to ferment 10-12 gallons at a time. Easier to move around than a vittles vault, too.

EDIT: I suppose you don't have to get the blue ones, but I got mine for free which are blue...there are also white ones around.

EDIT 2: Here is what I'm talking about:

Delex 15 Gallon Closed Top Container

Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leithoa View Post
The dominant theory is that scratches make proper sanitation nearly impossible to guarantee. Obviously a light scuff is less likely to hide an infection than a deep gouge. The thinking goes that the scratches prevent the sanitizer from reaching all of the bacteria and over a 3 week fermentation you get enough beasties to ruin the flavor of the beer.
If you're practicing the no-chill method often associated with 'cubes it might not be as much of an issue, but still something to be aware of. I also have no experience with no-chill so don't blame me if your brew gets infected.
i hear you and i agree that it's really only a gouge that might be a problem. all of my plastic fermentors are scratched, i ferment both sour beer and sacc yeast beer in all of my fermentors without ever having a cross contamination. the reason i started doing this was to see if there are bugs that can hide from proper sanitation, so far i have not found them. i'm not disputing that cross contamination or infections in general can happen, what i'm arguing against is the idea that a scratch is a death sentence for a plastic fermentor. many times people have posted an infected beer on these boards and the prevailing advice has been "throw out the bucket and all other plastics"

anyway, this is the wrong thread for my rant

Old 01-31-2013, 04:13 AM   #8
40watt

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I find that the 15 gallon food grade blue plastic barrels do a fine job if you want to ferment 10-12 gallons at a time. Easier to move around than a vittles vault, too.

EDIT: I suppose you don't have to get the blue ones, but I got mine for free which are blue...there are also white ones around.

EDIT 2: Here is what I'm talking about:

Delex 15 Gallon Closed Top Container
What do you use to siphon the beer out? Seems taller than an auto siphon.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I haven't used an autosiphon in probably two or three years. I still have one someplace. A regular racking cane works, although you have to tilt the fermenter as you drain it...but I do that anyway even when I'm using a bucket.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
BrewerBear
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have one I use for ten gallon batches. Works fine.

Quick Reply