Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Brett yeast as secondary...what should I use for primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Amanofbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brett yeast as secondary...what should I use for primary?

I'm planning on fermenting a beer to a similar schedule to that of Orval (I wouldn't call it a clone attempt, though the target gravities will be similar) and I'm looking for a primary yeast. Orval uses wlp510, but that is seasonal. I would use an orval bottle, but it only has the secondary strain, which I already have. Does anyone know of another commercial beer that uses the 510? or can anyone tell me what it's like and what I'm aiming for flavor/ester wise?

If I can't find anything, I have resolved to culture from an Ommegang bottle; fairly dry (when not on tap) and attenuates to about the right degree if I'll be using brett later. Thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast:
Used to produce Trappist style beers. Similar to WLP500, but is less fruity and more alcohol tolerant (up to 15% ABV). Excellent yeast for high gravity beers, Belgian ales, dubbels and trippels.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium to high
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 66-72°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High

Old 04-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used wyeast 3463 - forbidden fruit and dregs from Orval bottles for the brett. It was one of the most amazing beers that I have ever made.

Quick Reply