Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Brett Infection on my ESB... Does this mean?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
theck
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Brett Infection on my ESB... Does this mean?

Does this mean I have to toss the bucket and everything that touches it? I really hate to have to toss my auto siphon, guess I'll try and it it out with a tube... I thought I had grabbed a sample using the thief a while back and then used it in another batch to sample, maybe that was before it was infected? Should I toss that too? I also keg does this mean I need to replace all my lines, rings, etc? Maybe I'll toss it out, too much work for me, though I would like to try it out. Funny cuz I was just commenting on someone else's infection the other day and said I, knock on wood, have yet to get anything. Blah.

10531137_10152230817827883_1551455378_n.jpg  

Co2 Taps: empty
Nitro Tap: empty
Fermenting: Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
LakeErieMonster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I wouldnt throw any of it out. Just clearly label it and segregate it so it can be used in the future if you make any brett beers on purpose.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
theck
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieMonster View Post
I wouldnt throw any of it out. Just clearly label it and segregate it so it can be used in the future if you make any brett beers on purpose.
That's the thing I doubt I will... or want to. Not much of a sour fan really. And if I have to redo all my keg lines after I really doubt I will. Your close enough if you want the 5 gallons I'll give it to ya?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
theck
Recipes 

I'm curious too how it happened, researching it I can't find anything. I sanitize the crap out of everything, I didn't add anything into it, and I haven't opened it in a loooong time, even then I peaked after 2 weeks and all was good snapping the lid back. I also cool with a chiller in 15 mins and brew day went fine... I did reuse yeast but I also used that in another batch and that one went fine?

Recipe: ESB Nitro
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.49 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 9.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 9.6 oz Briess Pale Malt 2 Row (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 79.2 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.6 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.6 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.6 %
4.0 oz Avangard Malz Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.9 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.9 %
0.5 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 7 0.2 %
0.60 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 25.9 IBUs
0.60 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 9 7.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 0.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) [12 Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 6.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 5.18 gal of water at 161.4 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 4.91gal) of 168.0 F water
------

Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 541

I know that there is a general conception out there that equipment that has come into contact with infected beer is contaminated, but I am not so sure. I think proper cleaning should be sufficient. I had an apple cider go south on me with some unknown, unidentifiable, non-gunk-forming bug and I merely cleaned with Oxyfree and I was good to go. Never had a problem since.

Also, keep the brett infected ESB! Historically these pub beers were riddled with the stuff (also unintentionally). Brett itself merely adds a subtle tartness, not really that mouth puckering sour that you might be thinking of.

Ever have trouble getting a "big beer" to carbonate in the bottle? Read the "rules" and please add your story to the list!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
theck
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSorenson View Post
I know that there is a general conception out there that equipment that has come into contact with infected beer is contaminated, but I am not so sure. I think proper cleaning should be sufficient. I had an apple cider go south on me with some unknown, unidentifiable, non-gunk-forming bug and I merely cleaned with Oxyfree and I was good to go. Never had a problem since.

Also, keep the brett infected ESB! Historically these pub beers were riddled with the stuff (also unintentionally). Brett itself merely adds a subtle tartness, not really that mouth puckering sour that you might be thinking of.
I would love to keep and try it but I really don't want to have to replace everything in my keezer when done or cause other infections down the road to my other equipment. Cost wise it's just not smart, perlick 630ss seals, tubing, o-rings, etc... I hear bottling it might cause bombs too, plus I have no bottles and would have to purchase them. Blah.

If anyone local to me wants the bucket let me know, maybe if you bottle I can get a sample or two when done. This was brewed on May 31st so perfect for bottling right now.

Looking back now too I used an old airlock on the bucket, I sprayed the poop out of it before adding it but it was from my first, old, 20 year old old kit... Hard to say I guess what the cause was.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theck View Post
I'm curious too how it happened, researching it I can't find anything. I sanitize the crap out of everything, I didn't add anything into it, and I haven't opened it in a loooong time, even then I peaked after 2 weeks and all was good snapping the lid back. I also cool with a chiller in 15 mins and brew day went fine... I did reuse yeast but I also used that in another batch and that one went fine?
Proper sanitation should be easily achieved if you are paying attention. Beer is pretty tolerant and I once successfully bottled a beer having accidentally not adding starsan to my "starsan solution". The only thing I can think about is perhaps how you handle the equipment after you sanitize. I treat everything as if I'm a doctor in surgery, making sure my hands have sanitizer on them or are not touching anything directly that comes into contact with the beer.

Ever have trouble getting a "big beer" to carbonate in the bottle? Read the "rules" and please add your story to the list!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
DarthCitra
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Im curious how you know thats a Brett infection?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
theck
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSorenson View Post
Proper sanitation should be easily achieved if you are paying attention. Beer is pretty tolerant and I once successfully bottled a beer having accidentally not adding starsan to my "starsan solution". The only thing I can think about is perhaps how you handle the equipment after you sanitize. I treat everything as if I'm a doctor in surgery, making sure my hands have sanitizer on them or are not touching anything directly that comes into contact with the beer.
I spray my stuff before like a madman and after to air dry. Hands and arms included... I do the bucket tops when opening and peaking as well. Guess it's just one of those things never know.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theck View Post
...I hear bottling it might cause bombs too...

...This was brewed on May 31st so perfect for bottling right now...
I am no souring expert, but from even my limited understanding sufficient time is all that is required to preventing bottle bombs. Any bacteria needs time to finish it's work on the beer. Set that bucket aside for months and in the mean time start collecting bottles and brew your next beer.

Oh... and use Oxifree or PBW on your equipment that contacted that beer, just in case.

Again, I'm no expert, but I believe I am giving good advise.

riceral Likes This 

Quick Reply