Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Brett Infected Black IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
sbuchan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brett Infected Black IPA?

So a few weeks ago I brewed a Brett C porter. I cleaned and sanitized everything like I usually do, including leaving my thief and syphon in a StarSan solution for a few days because I was too lazy to deal with it for a while. Last Sunday I brewed a Black IPA (using the same syphon and thief). It started out great. Fermentation took right off and my basement smelled fantastic. This morning I pulled a sample and, while it still tastes good, it smells quite bad. How do I know if it's Brett infected? I'm supposed to dry hop next weekend, should I just postpone that and hope the aroma improves? I should also note that the smell here is absolutely nothing like the porter, which is actually very tropical and fruity. The Black IPA is more like feet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I have had batches smell so bad at times I could vomit, and yet they turned out fine. If it tasted ok and if fermentation took off it is doubtful that it is infected.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
sbuchan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbacon View Post
I have had batches smell so bad at times I could vomit, and yet they turned out fine. If it tasted ok and if fermentation took off it is doubtful that it is infected.
Thanks, I hope you're right! I'll let it sit for a while and see if I'm able to dry hop on schedule.

Quick Reply