Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bread Yeast for an Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
agroff383
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bread Yeast for an Ale

Anybody ever use it? I want to know really how different it is from regular store bought bread yeast. I wouldn't waste 5 gallons trying it though.

Can I have your business card?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Many moons ago, probably before you were born, I used this yeast to ferment beer and wine.
Tasted terrible.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Old post of mine from a few years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People have been using bread yeast since time immemoria, long before there were different, cleaner tasting, strains for brewing. In fact if you look at the first beer recipe, the "Hymn to Ninkasi" in the Tales of Gilgamesh,you will find that a special bread was baked, and that bread was added to the cooling mash...it was the yeast from this "Bappir" bread that induced fermentation.

The Maltose falcons and Anchor brewing worked on recreating the recipe several years ago, here's a pic of what they think the bappir looked like.

It's also been used my mead makers as well...

Here's the basic brewing video on using bread yeast. http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.ph...nd-bread-yeast you'll find the results surprising. They pretty much shoot down the off flavor idea....

Also check out Michael Tonsmier the Mad fermentationalist's experiments with different yeasts.

September 20, 2007 - Offbeat Yeast Part One
Michael Tonsmeire, the Mad Fermentationist from Washington D.C., shares some of his beers made with other-than-normal yeast. In this episode: Kvass, Flanders Red, and a Strong, Dark Belgian.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...fbeatyeast.mp3

September 27, 2007 - Offbeat Yeast Part Two
We continue our tasting with Michael Tonsmeire, the Mad Fermentationist from Washington D.C. This week, all the beers are fermented with Brettanomyces.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...beatyeast2.mp3

In other words, it's been used forever, and is still being used by brewers and mead makers, especially those without access to beer yeasts (THere was a guy on here this winter from Bulgaria who can't get any brewing ingredients). And also it is used currently by some people on the Grocery and produce experiment thread.

It won't kill you, it may or may not produce negative flavors in the beer (most of this is lore/conjecture passed on by people who haven't even actually tried it.)

Certain beers may even benefit from the "bready" taste that may be produced, think Kvass or a dark beer with a lot of roasty and biscuity malts in it.

Plus Experimentation is fun.

From this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bread-yeast-71348/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Cowbizzoy
Recipes 

Although not an ale...I used Fleishman's bread yeast in my first batch of mead... (JAOM)

I think it turned out pretty well....so well...i wondered about using it in a beer...

Too much work keeping this current...

There is stuff in the pipeline...

Old 11-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
McNulty
Recipes 

First batch of Apfelwein I made was with Red Star yeast and it tasted just like bread, apples, and butt. Even after a year of "aging" it still tasted more like bread than anything. But, keep in mind it fermented at around 75F. Also it was the warmest buzz ever, with the worst hangover ever from all the fusels. Apfuselwein...

Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I did it just to try it. The beer was fine - good, even. There was no off flavor or any noticeable defect. It did NOT have a "yeasty" flavor. I'd do it again. That said, it's low-flocculating and and moderately attenuating and doesn't have a signature ester profile.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Damage View Post
I did it just to try it. The beer was fine - good, even. There was no off flavor or any noticeable defect. It did NOT have a "yeasty" flavor. I'd do it again. That said, it's low-flocculating and and moderately attenuating and doesn't have a signature ester profile.
Cool this is the kind of answer I wanted lol. Not some 15 year old did it with some Welch's and it tasted like hell... I just want to know what the major fundamental difference is between this yeast and Nottingham. I assume it was developed over time to make bread work and not beer, like nobody cares about flocculation when making a loaf. Just wondered if it could be used in any way shape or form...I will just keep some dry yeast around as always haha.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Old post of mine from a few years ago

From this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bread-yeast-71348/
good thread and reading...thanks revvy!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Bread yeast stardards are not that high I would think, since it will be baked to kill all of the bacteria. I would think that the beer yeast would have to have a higher yeast to bacteria ratio. If it is a matter of price the beer yeast is not very expensive.

Forrest

Old 11-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
cgondoli1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beer yeast is a bacteria.

Quick Reply