New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bottling Bucket for Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
wilmbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling Bucket for Secondary?

I have a perfectly functional 6+ gallon plastic bottling bucket with an accompanying lid and a standard glass carboy. Is it necessary for me to purchase another carboy/fermenter for successful secondary fermentation or can secondary be achieved in the bottling bucket?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When you transfer to secondary you need to have as little airspace above the beer as possible.....because you do not want oxygen in contact with beer or it can make trhe beer skunky from oxidation....this is not a problem in primary because during active fermentation the yeast creates plenty of CO2 to push the oxygen out and protects the surface of the beer (fills the airspace above in the bucket). So for secondary....if you did a 5 gallon batch of beer....you need to use a 5 gallon carboy.

Now with that being said.....a lot of experienced brewers on this site do not even do secondary (including me) as it is not necessary in most cases.....some exceptions would be for certain types of beers or for fruit additions, lagering, etc. But in general you are better off not going to secondary as you just risk contamination (infection) during the transfer. I normally keep my beers in primary 3 weeks....then bottle (as long as fermentation is done after a FG check).

What type of beer are you talking about?

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Irish Red
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
Dry Stout

Bottled:
Bee Cave Hefeweizen
Sweet Stout
Nut Brown

Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmbrewer View Post
I have a perfectly functional 6+ gallon plastic bottling bucket with an accompanying lid and a standard glass carboy. Is it necessary for me to purchase another carboy/fermenter for successful secondary fermentation or can secondary be achieved in the bottling bucket?
Welcome to the forum!

You'll find that folks use all sort of fermenting vessels and many manage to brew great beers with a spartan amount of equipment. You could use the bottling bucket, but, as mgortel said, for a majority of beers transferring to a secondary vessel is an unnecessary step that risks oxidation of your beer more than providing any appreciable benefit. Check out the 2 threads linked below and cheers.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/do-i-have-use-secondary-7960/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/when-go-primary-secondary-if-all-43014/

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
wilmbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure my carboy is 5 gallons, so what if I used the bottling bucket for primary and the carboy for secondary? I am planning on doing a hefeweizen with the addition of fresh banana in the secondary. I just wanted to see if the bottling bucket was an option before buying another fermenting device.

Quick Reply