Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bottle conditioning a trippel, which yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
greggor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle conditioning a trippel, which yeast

I have a very strong trippel OG 1.10 FG 1.010 originally fermented with the Wyeast trappist high gravity that I want to bottle condition. I have racked it off the primary after a month. So now I plan to use some fresh yeast and unfermented wort to condition. What would be my best choice for yeast?
a) the original trappist high gravity b) Cal ale, or c) WLP 007 English dry.
I'm going to add an active starter at high Krausen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

What's the ABV? I'd recommend using the same yeast that's in suspension, if you give it some more sugar it should condition just fine.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

After only a month, and with such a nice strong performing yeast, there is really no need to add any more yeast to it. I've used the high grav yeast and never needed to add any fresh yeast. Just scrape your autosiphon along the bottom of the primary once or twice to kick up and rack over that nice yeast and you'll be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I agree with Revvy; no need to add more yeast to your batch when you have one actively fermenting already.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
After only a month, and with such a nice strong performing yeast, there is really no need to add any more yeast to it. I've used the high grav yeast and never needed to add any fresh yeast. Just scrape your autosiphon along the bottom of the primary once or twice to kick up and rack over that nice yeast and you'll be fine.
True. A lot of Belgian breweries blend yeast or use a different yeast for bottle conditioning, so although adding more isn't necessary, you could try using a different one.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've read that bottle conditioning with additional yeast can lead to bottle bombs unless you're kegging or using Champagne bottles and/or the heavier bottles that commercial breweries use for Belgian ales. Anyone actually use additional yeast for bottle conditioning w/o corking?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
I've read that bottle conditioning with additional yeast can lead to bottle bombs unless you're kegging or using Champagne bottles and/or the heavier bottles that commercial breweries use for Belgian ales. Anyone actually use additional yeast for bottle conditioning w/o corking?
That doesn't really make any sense. Bottle bombs come from too much sugar in the beer at bottling time which gets fermented in the pressurized environment.

Adding additional yeast isn't going to contribute to bottle bombs (unless of course there's too much sugar present and no yeast, which is not likely).

Old 09-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
That doesn't really make any sense. Bottle bombs come from too much sugar in the beer at bottling time which gets fermented in the pressurized environment.

Adding additional yeast isn't going to contribute to bottle bombs (unless of course there's too much sugar present and no yeast, which is not likely).
What can I say, I read it on a 10-year-old article

Just needed a sanity check.

I was thinking of experimenting with bottling some of my dubbel with extra yeast (since it's in a secondary right now) and let it hang out for a while (6+ months) to see what it does. I do have some 22 oz. bottles and oxygen absorbing caps I was going to use for the experiment.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3688 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 3193

I would add a pinch of any clean yeast to the bottling bucket. rehydrate it first to make sure it doesn't float. There is no downside to doing so, but without it you just might not have carbonation. That's very high ABV and the existing yeast might be kaput. I did experience a very similar situation with a barleywine that didn't carbonate.

S-05 would be fine.

Quick Reply