Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinythebadass View Post
All of my beers are crystal clear, it's annoying though how I have to dump out a good 2-inches of beer from the bottle because it's so turbid with yeast. That stuff makes you fart like a mofo!
Is the beer clear when you are putting the beer into the bottle. If not, let the beer clear longer in the fermenter before bottling. If it is clear when you bottle, I don't know what to tell you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #12
plinythebadass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumke View Post
If you have 2 inches of yeast in your bottles, then something isn't right. That's ~20% of the bottle volume as yeast/trub.

Do you mean 2 inches of the fermentor?? I just made an Avery Maharaja clone with 1/2lb of dry hops and I think there was close to 4 inches of crap left in the fermentor. You can adjust for the volume loss when planning your recipies based on the style to make sure you get the right bottling/kegging volume.
No no no no sorry my bad here on the phrasing. I have two inches of beer that is infested with yeast of the bottom of my 22 bombers I use. Not a 2 inch thick cake, good lord talk about farting...I am posting so belated on this because I have made some new discoveries of my own...

I recently did two cheap batches of brew, a Blue Moon clone for the ladies and a lawnmower beer sorta thing for the boys. I didn't use smack packs like I use for EVERYTHING else I make. I simply used some S04 SafeAle dry packets and what did I notice? My technique hasn't changed a bit, and there was no massive cake on the bottom of my bottles after conditioning. There was a slight opacity at the bottom from SOME yeast falling out of suspension but not the massive amounts I was mentioning before. Poured out the whole bottle, every time...weird yes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply