Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bottle bombs question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
orangemen5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Bottle bombs question

I brewed a northern brewer bourbon porter ended with less water higher gravity. Expected og 1.065. My og 1.074. Danstar windsor yeast screwed me 50% attenuation ( never again) warmed fermenter , roused yeast, pitch on different yeast cake. Still have a fg of 1.033. Cant get it any lower. Is there a risk of bottle bombs if gravitas been stable for two weeks ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Anyone have any info for a new brewer ?????

Old 12-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
miker1529
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

New myself too but something like this happen to buddy of mine that got me started. He got away with it by setting aside a few bottles and checking them as he went in the bottle rest time which for him was two weeks so he killed 6 bottles in the name of the many he actually had to burp them at 4 days but glad he gave those 6 away to the beer gods it made Dam good beer.

Also I would give it the smell test to make sure you have no foreign yeast in there.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
miker1529
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

But just note I pretty new too. I'm sure others can chime in with some ideas too

Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Is this an extract kit?

There could be a lot of things going on here, did you oxygenate the wort well? A beer that big needs it for sure. Were you able to control the temperature? Chances are if your at 1.033 after a couple weeks it's probably not going to change any.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Pitch some new yeast(starter) and let it go. With that kind of fg you are like to get extreme carbonation as a best case.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemen5 View Post
I brewed a northern brewer bourbon porter ended with less water higher gravity. Expected og 1.065. My og 1.074. Danstar windsor yeast screwed me 50% attenuation ( never again) warmed fermenter , roused yeast, pitch on different yeast cake. Still have a fg of 1.033. Cant get it any lower. Is there a risk of bottle bombs if gravitas been stable for two weeks ??
I interpret that to mean that you have not bottled yet and that you have a 1.033 wort sitting in your fermentor -- right?

Assuming so, then you still have quite a bit of sugar in there, so if you get secondary ferm activity as a result of racking (pretty common), then maybe you will get bottle bombs or it might bottle condition and carbonate just fine depending upon how much ferm activity. You might try racking a bottle or two, with no priming sugar added, and let them sit to see what happens.

That's the problem with capped bottles, its hard to evaluate how the brew is progressing without some fancier gear. You could rack some to a flip top bottle or even a soda bottle and see how it does over a week or so. This way you can bleed pressure and decide whether or not to re-pitch or rack the remaining wort.

At about 1.033, or a bit less, the resulting beer of course is going to be rather sweet.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
sublimefool311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm currently fermenting the NB Caribou Slobber kit with the Windsor. It seems to be hanging around 1.020. I was a little concerned so I did a bit of looking around.

From the Danstar website: "Depending on the composition of the recipe, Windsor demonstrates moderate attenuation which will leave a relatively high gravity (density)." http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/windsor-ale-yeast

Most likely yours has just finished. If you want a lower FG use a different yeast strain. However, I am also a fairly new brewer, so maybe one of the more experienced guys can offer more help.

Quick Reply