Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bottle Bombs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
inturnldemize
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Bottle Bombs?

How likely are bottle bombs? I'm a little worried about this. I have a 5 gallon batch i'm about to bottle and the recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup of DME. However, I don't know if this takes into account that i've taken out about 2 cups of beer for hydrometer readings. Basically, how exact does this 1 1/4 cup have to be? If i'm a little over or a little under is it fine? Will I just end up with over carbonated beer?

Thanks!

"Beer fermentation is the most ugly, yet beautiful thing a home brewer can experience." -Me

Please, people, for the love of beer, do not drink your brew out of the bottle. Beer is a beautiful thing and the least it deserves is a clean glass.

Follow A&M Beer Reviews on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Bee...43042525716025

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
fatnhappy
Recipes 

I have never used dme to carbonate, but I did have bottle bombs once. I have been brewing for close to 14 years, and I find a half cup of priming sugar works fine

Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

The hydrometer samples account for 2.5% of your batch. That is nothing. Not to mention that ~160g of DME is only carbing you to ~ 2 volumes. You would have to double the weight of DME to get you to 3 volumes. All of that is well within what most bottles can handle.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If your recipe calls for that amount, you should be fine. A pint difference in volume shouldn't make a noticeable differencein carbonation. Tastybrew.com has a great calculator for priming amounts, if you want to check for sure, or use it for future brews.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
inturnldemize
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys, your replies are very much appreciated!

"Beer fermentation is the most ugly, yet beautiful thing a home brewer can experience." -Me

Please, people, for the love of beer, do not drink your brew out of the bottle. Beer is a beautiful thing and the least it deserves is a clean glass.

Follow A&M Beer Reviews on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Bee...43042525716025

Old 05-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bottle bombs occur due to bottling too soon, and/or an infection that continues to slowly ferment past the point when the yeast stopped. 1.25cups should be ok, but this should be a Belgian or Hefe, right?

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4952 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

1.25 cups of DME is actually pretty low- if the beer is finished when you bottle, you have no worries about bottle bombs.

I've brewed over 300 batches, and bottled 200 of those! And I've never had a bottle bomb. They only happen if fermentation isn't finished or if the priming solution isn't mixed in to the finished beer (so that one bottle gets most of the sugar instead of the whole batch). You'll be fine.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
inturnldemize
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I made an IPA. It's been in the primary for 8 days now. By the time I bottle i'll be at 11 days in the primary so i'm pretty sure fermentation will be done by then. Heck, I think fermentation is done now! My hydro readings have been pretty constant the last 3 days. I'll take one on Wednesday and then bottle on Friday night. Basically i'm just letting everything settle right now and clearing it a little.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I wouldn't bottle after 8 days. I can't imagine your beer being very clear after 8 days.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by inturnldemize
Well, I made an IPA. It's been in the primary for 8 days now. By the time I bottle i'll be at 11 days in the primary so i'm pretty sure fermentation will be done by then. Heck, I think fermentation is done now! My hydro readings have been pretty constant the last 3 days. I'll take one on Wednesday and then bottle on Friday night. Basically i'm just letting everything settle right now and clearing it a little.
IMHO 11 days is not enough time and pretty constant to me does not mean identical readings meaning absolutely no change.

Remember that while you may get constant readings there is a phase of fermentation that occurs after that when the yeast will continue to clean up, flocculate and help clear your beer and generally most people recommend a period of 2 weeks total for all that to happen and most people on this site would suggest 3-4.

As for your priming +1 to the above suggestions in recalculating your DME amounts. Also take into account the using DME will typically require more conditioning and carbonating time before your packaged beer will be ready to enjoy.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply