Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Blow off worries!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
MagooBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts

I have just put a batch of a American Light in my primary. 5 gal batch in 6.5 bucket. Pitched at 72 @ is stored at 65. Do I need to worry about blow off with this beer? When generally does it happen?

"A flute with no holes is not a flute......
....... and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish."

Ty Webb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

It usually happens when you are asleep. The foam knows you're gone and stealthily rises until your lid blows off and you have a serious mess to clean up. In all seriousness, just put a blowoff tube on it for safety. IME, it only happens when the beer is being fermented around...exactly around the temperature you are fermenting it at now.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Yeah I usually use one for the first 2-3days then swap out for an airlock. Better safe than sorry.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
MagooBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsmith View Post
It usually happens when you are asleep. The foam knows you're gone and stealthily rises until your lid blows off and you have a serious mess to clean up. In all seriousness, just put a blowoff tube on it for safety. IME, it only happens when the beer is being fermented around...exactly around the temperature you are fermenting it at now.
Thanks for the reply. Is the cause of this due to an inadequate air lock or what. I always thought the airlock was there to prevent this. This morning before I left for work, the s type airlock was 1/4 on one side and 3/4 on the other. What do you think will it make it till I get home this evening?

Ty Webb

Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The airlock is fine. It has more to do with CO2 bubbles forming and as they travel upwards they are 'aerating' your beer. When you think about it, all foam really is is less dense beer (due to gas). When the bubbles are forming faster than the foam can diminish, it causes the foam level to rise. Hopefully it will make it. It really depends on how vigorous the fermentation is...the S-type airlocks are great for showing the pressure in your fermenter vs. the atmospheric pressure. Don't worry about it..if it starts pushing through the airlock, all you need to do is clean the airlock and place it back. The foam and the pressure coming out of the fermenter protect it pretty well from microbes invading.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
MagooBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsmith View Post
The airlock is fine. It has more to do with CO2 bubbles forming and as they travel upwards they are 'aerating' your beer. When you think about it, all foam really is is less dense beer (due to gas). When the bubbles are forming faster than the foam can diminish, it causes the foam level to rise. Hopefully it will make it. It really depends on how vigorous the fermentation is...the S-type airlocks are great for showing the pressure in your fermenter vs. the atmospheric pressure. Don't worry about it..if it starts pushing through the airlock, all you need to do is clean the airlock and place it back. The foam and the pressure coming out of the fermenter protect it pretty well from microbes invading.
Thanks

Ty Webb

Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

The only time blowoff is a problem is when you don't use a blowoff tube

I have had a couple batches with crazy blowoff. It tends to be beers with highly fermentable wort. If you're adding a lot of simple sugars, (3 LB brown sugar, for example) or a really aggressive yeast, or both, use a blowoff tube.

Quick Reply